To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the general supervision of the Laboratory Support Services Manager, performs phlebotomy for Inpatients and/or Outpatients based upon work assignment. Performs duties required for operation of a drawing station, including patient registration and test order entry. Consistently interacts with patients and clients in a positive manner.
- 1. Collects and delivers blood samples on patients in a safe and efficient manner, following department standards to support quality care.
- 1.1 Follows universal precaution standards for each blood collection, 100% of the time.
- 2. Participates in daily upkeep of blood draw area.
- 2.1 Maintains cleanliness and neatness of blood draw room and/or mobile phlebotomy cart and tray.
- 3. Assists in Teaching students and new employees
- 3.1 Assists in training of new personnel.
- 4. Performs all functions relating to Laboratory Medicine patient intake information.
- 4.1 1. Using Hospital standards, chooses existing or creates new medical record numbers inthe YNHH HIS and creates a complete registration.
- 5. Consistently enters lab test orders into the HIS or LIS accurately and efficiently. Uses hand-held scanner for Inpatient Identification and collection label generation.
- 5.1 Enters patient lab orders efficiently to insure minimal patient wait times.
- 6. Transports inpatient specimens; processes outpatient specimens for courier transport in order to facilitate timely specimen testing.
- 6.1 Follows established specimen handling guidelines and precautions.
- 7. Adheres to regulatory standards for Laboratory Testing
- 7.1 Consistently captures ABN information for Medicare Patients when required for Outpatient services.
High school diploma. Completion of an approved phlebotomy certification course or equivalent experience with on the job training.
A minimum of one year of current phlebotomy experience OR successful completion of a YNHHS Laboratory Medicine Phlebotomy Internship.
Competence in caring for all patients regardless of age, disability, sexual preference, gender, and ethnicity. Knowledge of Phlebotomy and Medical Terminology. Ability to effectively convey instructions to patients and students. Basic computer and keyboarding skills required. Ability to problem solve and work independently.
Ability to do extended amounts of walking and bending over patient beds for prolonged periods of time.