To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
At Bridgeport Hospital, we are committed to providing quality medical care and treatment that is coordinated and centered on the patient's specific needs. We strive to achieve benchmarks as a Patient Centered Medical Home and provide health care in a setting where patients are at the center of their care team. All employees of Bridgeport Hospital are part of the patients care team and contribute to the team approach of promoting access, continuous, comprehensive care and work to provide quality improvement in the care provided to their patients.
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, coordinates Microbiology testing at Bridgeport Hospital , including instrument function, assay correlation, and specimen workflow. In addition, serves as the Quality Assurance coordinator for the Microbiology Laboratory. This position is responsible for overseeing the lab?s quality management program and ensuring the Microbiology Laboratory is compliant with all regulatory mandates. Independently collects and summarizes various QC/QA data necessary for the lab's operation. Oversees and monitors the performance of personnel in the Microbiology Laboratory. Other responsibilities include being actively involved in evaluating and implementing new tests and procedures, as well as assuming the responsibilities of the technologists III in their absence. Also assists in maintaining and developing the LIS system used in the Microbiology laboratory. Must be technically proficient in all areas of the Microbiology Laboratory, using various techniques such as antigen detection, manual and automated identification systems, susceptibility testing, molecular amplification techniques, specimen accessioning, and specimen processing. Must be able to assist the technical staff in identifying, and resolving various technical and procedural issues when they arise.
- 1. Oversees performance of Microbiology testing and procedures at Bridgeport Hospital, including specimen workflow, assay correlation, personal competency, and instrument function.
- 1.1 Maintains responsibility for all routine and special testing required in the Microbiology Laboratory. Follows through on special requests until completion and reporting. Communicates with clinicians concerning any delays or problems that would prevent the timely completion of testing.
- 2. Oversees the Microbiology Laboratory Quality Control, Quality Assurance, and Technical Competency program.
- 2.1 Works with the Laboratory Manager to ensure that all Quality Control and Quality Assurance procedures are kept updated and are in compliance with The Joint Commission , CAP and DPH guidelines. Discusses with the Laboratory Manager Changes that need to be made based on changing guidelines.
- 3. Provides general supervision for the laboratory in the absence of the Laboratory Manager and the Medical Technologist III to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the laboratory.
- 3.1 Oversees and monitors the performance of laboratory personnel. Observes technical performance on a daily basis and keeps records of problems or achievements on the daily performance log. Requires error reports to be generated by the staff where appropriate.
- 4. Technical Competency - Demonstrates advanced technical competency in areas of specialized testing, quality assurance, completion of laboratory based projects, continuing education presentations, problem
solving, the review and writing of laboratory procedures and inputs into the development of new protocols, procedures, and the purchase of new equipment.
- 4.1 Is technically proficient in the interpretation of bacterial cultures; the interpretation of test results and smears; and the identification of simple yeasts and bacterial isolates. Competency is evaluated through direct observation, internal and external proficiency samples and the clinical error report with two (2) or less analytical errors reported.
- 5. Communication/Documentation/Computer Skills - Provides for the accurate reporting of laboratory results to ensure continuity of patient care by demonstrating computer, communication, and documentation skills.
- 5.1 Can perform basic LIS troubleshooting functions to ensure efficient operation of LIS in Microbiology Laboratory.
- 6. Professionalism - Demonstrates a professional attitude and approach to all work activities, to all personnel of the department and hospital, and to our customer base. Work with Team members to achieve success. Demonstrates a commitment to personal career growth in the fields of Medical Technology and Microbiology
- 6.1 Assists in evaluating, validating, implementing, and monitoring methods in Microbiology testing. Monitors assay performance and is capable of detecting deteriorating performance before it impacts patient testing.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology, or equivalent, MT (ASCP) certification, or equivalent.
Two (2) to three (3) years clinical laboratory experience as a medical technologist.
MT(ASCP, or equivalent)
Basic management skills as well as working knowledge of principles of automated instrumentation. Excellent interpersonal and group leadership skills. Ability to instruct and coordinate the activities of assigned staff. Ability to interact with medical technology students and clinical laboratory residents and fellows.