To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager and Section Coordinators, performs a wide range of clinical laboratory testing in an accurate and timely fashion by utilizing technical and problem-solving skills, in conjunction with a thorough knowledge of the principles and instrumentation for methods used in diagnostic virology, particularly molecular and serologic, but also direct antigen detection and selected viral culture methods. Has ability to perform clinical laboratory testing, including but not limited to, extraction of nucleic acid, real-time PCR, line-probe hybridization assay, automated and manual serologic immunoassays, antigen immunoassays, and conventional and rapid cell culture methods. Cooperatively and proactively assists in other areas as needed in a teamwork oriented environment. Maintains effective communications with employees while following CHAMP and HRO standards. Maintains all Quality Control and Quality Assurance standards at all times. Maintains operational effectiveness and assumes full responsibility for continuing education requirements, licensure and expertise to adapt as needed to an expanding department with increased testing complexity.
- 1. Technical Skills - Demonstrates technical competency by performing a wide variety of techniques used in the clinical virology laboratory with an emphasis on molecular diagnostics and both automated and manual immunoassays. These include moderate to highly complex tests.
- 1.1 Performs tests according to laboratory procedures with acceptable accuracy and precision.
- 2. Instrumentation Skills - Demonstrates sufficient knowledge and skills to independently operate and troubleshoot all instrumentation.
- 2.1 Performs instrument maintenance according to schedule including documentation, within established time limits.
- 3. General Laboratory Skills and Knowledge - Performs tasks that assist with overall operation of laboratory service according to laboratory policies and in compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- 3.1 Takes responsibility for all reagents and supplies associated with assigned test to ensure adequate materials are available for analysis.
- 4. Professional Skills - Participates in activities that demonstrate professionalism, a commitment to competency and career growth.
- 4.1 Assumes leadership role for students, trainees and co-workers by providing technical assistance when asked.
Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science/Medical Technology or related field with MLS (ASCP), MT (ASCP) or categorical MB, M, C (ASCP) certification. Those with equivalent certification or those eligible for certification will also be considered.
One to two years' experience in an accredited clinical laboratory preferred. Some knowledge of molecular diagnostics and immunodiagnostic theory and techniques is desired.
MLS (ASCP), MT (ASCP) or categorical MB, M, C (ASCP) certification or equivalent or eligibility.
Working knowledge of instrumentation and equipment used in a Clinical Virology, Serology, Immunology, or Molecular Biology laboratory. Efficiency in word processing applications, spreadsheet design/utilization and use of web based resources. Basic knowledge of laboratory information systems. Must possess excellent communication skills and ability to communicate in an effective and professional manner with hospital staff. Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills are required. The ability to work as a member of a team is essential.