To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Respiratory Therapy Intern is responsible for supporting the overall operations of the Respiratory Department, which consists of equipment cleaning, assembling and distribution, transport, oxygen tank replacement, stocking of all disposable items and equipment to nursing floors and department. To support and deliver respiratory care, in accordance to departmental, clinical and academic verification and distribution; under the supervision and direction of a Licensed Respiratory Care Practitioner.
- 1. Maintains respiratory equipment. This includes cleaning and disinfecting equipment in accordance with procedures, assembly and testing of equipment if appropriate, notifying and communicating with biomedical engineering regarding broken or malfunctioning equipment.
- 2. Responsible for oxygen tank orders, replacement, equipment set up, and delivery.
- 3. Ensures adequate respiratory supplies at all times.
- 4. Maintains direct communication with respiratory practitioners regarding equipment and other departmental needs.
- 5. Assists therapists with transport of mechanically ventilated patients and responds to equipment requests to ensure an efficient and orderly process.
- 6. Responds within five minutes when called as observed by a supervisor or therapist.
- 7. Provide and support continuity of patient care and clinical operational support under the direction and supervision of a Licensed Respiratory Therapist and in accordance with departmental guidelines.
- 8. Provide and support clinical and patient care under the scope of respiratory care in accordance and verification of departmental competency validation based on Respiratory Therapy Clinical Coordinator/Educator and Cardiopulmonary Services Manager.
- 9. Demonstrates competency and clinical acumen of respiratory care theories, concepts and best practices in accordance to departmental policies, protocols and standard operating procedures as established by the organization.
- 10. Performs EKGs
- 11. Demonstrate and maintain current/active required credentials such as BLS and ACLS.
- 12. Performs other duties as assigned or directed to ensure smooth operation of the department/unit.
High School Graduate or equivalent. Requires a current and active enrollment in a CoArc approved Respiratory Therapy Program. Must be a second year student.
Requires a minimum of one year of both Clinical and Didactical completion of Respiratory Therapy Academic completion of an accredited CoARC Respiratory Care Program evident by submission of college/university program director or appointee with college/university letterhead.
None at the time of hire but before progressing into a respiratory therapy position must gain the credential of Registered Respiratory Therapist. Must have BLS and ACLS.