To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The main function of the Central Processing Technician is to manage the workflow of all specimens arriving into central processing area of the laboratory. The primary objective of this position is to manage and triage samples for both in patients and out patients, identify potential errors and maximize patient/client satisfaction. Position involves preparing, processing and performing selective specimen testing according to laboratory regulations. A CP tech will recieve specimens into the laboratory, review paperwork and performing clerical duties. Use of the Laboratory Information System is essential. Handles, processes and prepares all specimens being sent out to Reference laboratories. Functions as the major communication link with the nursing units, physicians and reference laboratories. Distributes the work to the technical areas of the laboratory. Must demonstrate exceptional client service telephone skills.
- 1. The main function of the Central Processing Technician is to manage the workflow of all specimens arriving into central processing area of the laboratory. Processes specimens as they are received in the laboratory from both internal and external locations. Accepting specimens into the laboratory and distributing the work to the technical areas of the laboratory. Performing CLIA waived tests.
- 2. Demonstrates proficieny in Sendouts/Referrals. Initiates the appropriate reference laboratory worklists according to protocol. Prepares samples for send out including making the necessary aliquots, completing required paperwork and storing samples correctly to ensure they are ready for courier pickup.
- 3. Functions as the major communication link with the nursing units, physicians and reference laboratories. Exhibits excellent client service technique as well as following proper phone protocol. Responsible to follow up with physicians and patients when actions result in errors affecting patients.
- 4. Keeps work area clean and well stocked. Cleaning refridgerators/freezers on monthly basis as per schedule.
- 5. Reviewing paperwork, running check lists and performing clerical duties including manual entering lab results using the Laboratory Information System. Investigating discrepancies and resolving problems with a minimum of supervisory intervention
- 6. Become familiar with the system and network hardware and software to the degree that minor troubleshooting activities can be initiated.
Bachelor degree required, preferred Biology or equivalent
Computer skills are required. Experience in specimen processing preferred.
Working in a normal clinical laboratory environment, handling body fluid samples and blood, utilizing a computer. Close concentration and attention to detail are required. Excellent phone technique and client service skills necessary. Must have knowledge of Medical terminology and understand biological testing including basic microbiology. Must be able to understand and answer technical questions in a competent and professional manner.
Working in a normal clinical laboratory environment, handling test samples. Minimal lifting. Busy department daily. Possibility for stressful situations including handling difficult situations.-