To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reports to the Manager Laboratory Support Services as well as working closely with other managers, and coordinators of Laboratory Medicine. Performs the daily tasks of the Laboratory Support Services Assistant, and is responsible for the oversight and coordination of the Central Processing area. Works with the Managers to maintain and improve work flow in the Central Processing area, and assists with staff training, employee scheduling, and day -to-day operations.
- 1. Performs all daily tasks of the Lab Support Service Asst, including the handling of telephone calls, specimen add-on requests, sorting triaging of incoming specimens, ability to do downtime processing, specimen accessioning (both scanning and manual), inventory control, supply ordering, unpacking and storage of supplies, and all other applicable duties.
- 2. Under the supervision of the manager, responsible for the oversight and coordination of the Lab Support Service Asst., break and lunch schedule assignments, workload assessment, employee conduct, adherence to customer service standards, adherence to dress code policies, the use of personal protective equipment, and compliance with HIPAA regulations. Also assess the competency of the staff as regulated by JCAHO, CLIA, CMS and CAP.
- 3. Assists the Manager Laboratory Support Services in the overall oversight of the Lab Support Service Asst. staff-reviews work procedures and policies for possible gains in efficiency and effectiveness, gathers feedback from staff on how to improve work processes, implements changes designed to improve work flow in specific areas, deals in a timely fashion with all employee questions and concerns. Is involved in the development of specific policies and procedures for review and approval by Manager Laboratory Support Services. Trains and documents staff in procedures, and holds staff accountable for attaining acceptable standards. Responsible for monitoring quality in all applicable work areas. Develops corrective action plans for all significant error found. Collects follow-up data to determine the effectiveness of corrective actions.
- 4. Has excellent communication skills. Effectively communicates with the staff in a clear and concise manner. Encourages and elicits feedback from the staff on work process improvement. Communicates well with other members of the Hospital staff, including physicians, nurses, managers, and supervisors of other departments. Maintains an open communication with other members of the Department of Laboratory Medicine, including the Laboratory Directors, Manager Laboratory Support Services and section coordinators.
- 5. Provides input to the Manager Laboratory Support Services for the performance reviews on all Lab Support Service Asst. staff.
- 6. Responsible for ensuring that high standards of customer service are maintained by the Lab Support Service Asst. staff, by monitoring such items as telephone response times, telephone etiquette, specific task turnaround times, etc. Maintains detailed documentation of incidents where performance standards are not met.
- 7. Assists the Manager Laboratory Support Services in collecting statistical data required for the preparation of specific reports, surveys, documents, etc.
- 8. Assists the Manager Laboratory Support Services in the writing of, and annual review of procedures for work processes that the Lab Support Service Asst. staff performs.
- 9. Collaborates with Lead phlebotomists and performs other duties within this work section as necessary.
High School diploma required. Associates Degree preferred.
Three (3) to five (5) years experience working as a lab aide or equivalent setting. One (1) to three (3) years supervisory experience preferred, but not required.
Working knowledge of laboratory processing and clerical procedures, computer skills, telephone skills required. Excellent customer service, interpersonal, problem solving, and organizational skills required.