To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
This position reports to the department Laboratory Manager. Under the supervision of the Laboratory Manager, Shift Coordinators, Section Coordinators, and assistance of Medical Technologists, (where applicable) performs a range of clinical laboratory testing in an accurate and timely fashion. Develops and utilizes technical and problem solving skills. Develops a thorough knowledge of department principles and instrumentation for Medical Technologist promotion within 2 years of hire (highly preferred). Cooperatively and proactively assists in other departments as needed or assigned in a teamwork oriented environment. Maintains effective communications and harmoniously transfers testing and pending follow ups between employees and shifts consistently following all CHAMP and HRO standards. Maintains procedure knowledge once learned and implements all new and revised procedures in real time. Maintains all Quality Control and Quality Assurance standards at all times. Participates in proficiency testing as assigned following all routine standards and workflow. Maintains operational effectiveness and assumes full responsibility for continuing education participation, home study as needed and licensure preparations where applicable. Adapts to expanding department skillset with increased testing complexity and frequency, accepting reassignment as needed within and outside department of hiring origin.
1. Technical Skills - Demonstrates technical competency by performing a variety of techniques involved in the laboratory. This includes moderate complexity tests. This includes high complexity testing (highly preferred).
- Performs tests according to laboratory procedures with acceptable accuracy and precision.
2. Instrumentation Skills - Develops and demonstrates knowledge and skills of instrumentation, procedures, and process.
- Performs instrument maintenance according to schedule including documentation, within established time limits.
3. General Laboratory Skills and Knowledge - Performs tasks that assist with overall operation of laboratory service according to laboratory policies and in compliance with regulatory guidelines.
- Takes responsibility for all reagents and supplies associated with assigned test to ensure adequate materials are available for next analysis.
4. Professional Skills - Develops and participates in activities that demonstrate professionalism, a commitment to competency and career growth.
- Participates in inter-laboratory continuing education program.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college in a Biological Science or Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Microbiology, or equivalent Bachelor's degree. Transcript review required, eligibility and inherent skillset for moderate complexity testing required. Eligibility and inherent skillset for 'high complexity' testing ( highly preferred).
Laboratory experience is preferred, not required.
ASCP categorical certification eligibility and completion within 2 years of hire (highly preferred).
This is a PER DIEM position - as needed, any shift/holidays/weekends possible