To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Program Director, Center for Bioethics will plan, direct, and provide administration and leadership for programs and activities within the Center for Bioethics. Reporting to the YNHHS Deputy Chief Medical Officer, the Program Director will collaborate with directors, chiefs, managers, consultants and clinical teams to address ethical issues in clinical practice and work-related experience in real time. The Program Director is responsible for developing and directing resources and education including (but not limited to) the Ethics Advisory Committee, formal and informal ethics consultations, clinical ethics rounds, continuing ethics education activities and materials for staff, ethics media for families and system-wide proposals for ethics initiatives and policies. The roles requires current knowledge in the fields of bioethics, health law, philosophy and religious ethics. Ultimately serves as an internal consultant and facilitator for change directed toward strengthening the hospital staff’s sense of moral responsibility and community.
1. Leadership for the Hospital’s Ethics Advisory Committee
2. Provides and /or oversees adult and pediatric ethics consultation, analysis and advice to hospital staff, patients and families.
3. Develops, implements, maintains and evaluates ethics educational programs for clinical staff.
4. Develops and maintains regular, direct contact with critical care practice in its various forms (i.e. medical, surgical, neurologic, pediatric and neonatal) in order to stay abreast of sources of ethical dilemma
5. Provides ethical input and opinion regarding system policies and procedures. Works collegially and productively with executive leadership, clinical management and legal counsel to identify, address and resolve organizational ethics questions and issues
6. Manages budget and restricted accounts, allocating resources to achieve goals of the Center. Works with supervisor and financial advisors to maintain budget(s) appropriate for program growth and development, and to seek additional funding for special programs.
7. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with Yale Medical School, Yale University and other area academic institutions through teaching, collaborative committee work, resource sharing activities, research and publication.
8. Maintains professional growth and actively encourages and supports the professional development of staff members.
9. Represents Yale New Haven Hospital and Yale New Haven Health System in local, regional, national and international meetings and deliberations regarding ethical issues in health care.
Qualified candidates will possess a medical degree (MD/DO). Formal training in bioethics is preferred.
In addition to clinical practice experience, five or more years’ experience in clinical bioethics, preferably in an academic hospital or health delivery systems.
Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills, and ability to deal with moral disagreements or concerns and develop consensus, compromise, or other ethically-justifiable resolutions. Ability to motivate and manage employees, colleagues, volunteers and consultants. Ability to be an effective team member.
Demonstrated ability in multidisciplinary collaboration and capacity to initiate, prioritize and manage multiple projects, working across multiple departmental lines of authority and under pressure. Fiscally responsible and accountable.
Sensitivity in meeting and talking with patients, families, staff and others, either in person or using available media of communication, in a variety of stressful situations.
Valid Connecticut medical license.
Qualified candidates should have or plan to complete ASBH Healthcare Ethics Consultation Certification within 1 year of employment.
For immediate consideration, please email your resume/CV to: [email protected]