To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Working in a Pathology laboratory environment, processing Histology specimens. Maintain a working knowledge of intermediate chemistry, mathematics, physics, anatomy and biology to aid in troubleshooting all aspects of the position. Close concentration and attention to detail are required. Must have experience to properly evaluate and orient all types of tissue and cytology specimens. Maintain expertise with the microtomes, processors, stainers and manual protocols in order to produce a high quality product within turnaround time guidelines. Excellent organizational and technical skills required, with multi-tasking a priority.
- 1. DAILY OPERATION: Receive and process all surgical specimens submitted to the Histology department of Pathology. Render them suitable for microscopic examination by each attending Pathologist. Utilization of the computer terminal to access information and document activities is mandatory.
- 2. SPECIMEN EMBEDDING: Embeds all specimens according to established protocols. Follows work list to ensure that all material is present and handled appropriately. Performs all necessary QC, maintenance and documentation activities.
- 3. SPECIMEN CUTTING, COVERSLIPPING & LABELING: Prepares all slides in accordance with established protocols. Operates microtome, water bath, automatic stainer, and coverslipping area performing all necessary QC, maintenance and documentation. Labels all slides appropriately.
- 4. ROUTINE & SPECIAL STAINING: Prepares and checks appropriate stains. Expertise in general routine H&E staining. Sets up appropriate special techniques, microwaving and solution preparation. Performs and records all maintenance, QC and documentation activities.
- 5. IMMUNOHISTOCHEMISTRY: Prepares and checks appropriate stains. Operates the Immunohistochemistry instruments, performing necessary QC, maintenance and documentation. Sets up appropriate special procedures when protocols specify. Performs and records all QC and proficiency testing.
- 6. AP INFORMATION SYSTEM:Utilizes the APIS to execute histology clerical and computer functions, promoting good communications within the laboratory and throughout the hospital. Demonstrates and maintains a working knowledge of clerical in-patient and out-patient procedures to register patients, obtain reports, access work lists and retrieve results as needed.
- 7. MISCELLANEOUS EQUIPMENT: Appropriately operates and maintains other departmental equipment including the Reagent recycler, Microwave tissue processor, Analytical Balance, the Microwave Oven and conventional oven.
- 8. Promotes the Greenwich Hospital Service Excellence program and maintains confidentiality in all aspects of job performance.
Four (4) years of college, B.S. Degree, ASCP Histotechnologist certification
Prior Histology Lab experience preferred.
None required; ASCP HT certification preferred
Maintain a working knowledge of all aspects of Histology to aid in troubleshooting problems in any area of the section. Intense concentration and attention to detail are required with minimal tolerance for errors. Works under stressful conditions with high time pressure, strong interpersonal skills required. Must have good working knowledge of the AP computer system as general computer use.
Takes an active role in overseeing the operation of the section in the absence of the manager.
Lifting of medium weight objects. Close machine work and the use of sharp knives and instruments. Intense concentration and attention to detail, average laboratory conditions; exposure to formaldehyde, caustic agents and other hazardous solvents.