To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Manager will work in close relationship with the Program Director of Laboratories, the Medical Director of Pathology and the Laboratory Operations Manager to establish departmental objectives. Will plan and implement organizational restructuring within the sections to meet objectives. Will manage employees working within the areas of responsibility including oversight of payroll, daily performance and yearly reviews. Will maintain a laboratory that is compliant with regulatory agencies, in particular CAP and NY State, at all times. Will keep testing procedures up to date while evaluating new tests, new technologies and instrumentation. Will be responsible for ordering reagents and equipment as well as entering and monitoring payments in Lawson. Will be responsible for monitoring proper functioning of the Laboratory Information System as it pertains to area of responsibility. Wil promote and uphold high reliability practices. Will maintain a culture of patient satisfaction and excellent customer service.
- 1. TECHNICAL FUNCTION Maintains proficiency in all procedures within the section(s). Resolves technical and equipment problems in collaboration with the senior staff and technical specialists. Performs and directs special procedures as necessary.
- 2. DAILY OPERATION Directs the operation of lab sections on a twenty-four hour basis. Assures that the staff both reports to work promptly and perform duties that are compliant with regulatory agencies. Maintains current and acceptable procedure manuals. Researches, evaluates and recommends new procedures, instrumentation and technologies. Provides Quality Assurance and other reports as required. Monitors the performance, completion, and accuracy of all proficiency tests. Ensures staff meets the Continuing Education requirements. Troubleshoots laboratory issues involving patient care and physician satisfaction as well as constantly communicating with intra-hospital departments focusing on patient safety issues.
- 2.1 Directs the operation of lab sections on a twenty-four hour basis. Assures that the staff both reports to work promptly and perform duties that are compliant with regulatory agencies. Maintains current and acceptable procedure manuals. Researches, evaluates and recommends new procedures, instrumentation and technologies. Provides Quality Assurance and other reports as required. Monitors the performance, completion, and accuracy of all proficiency tests. Ensures staff meets the Continuing Education requirements. Troubleshoots laboratory issues involving patient care and physician satisfaction as well as constantly communicating with intra-hospital departments focusing on patient safety issues.
- 3. ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONS Keeps all employees informed of organization and departmental policies. Attends departmental and hospital meetings and participates on committees as requested. Prepares reports, statistics and special studies as required. Meets or exceeds all requirements for CAP, Connecticut and New York State accreditation. Works with the Manager Self Service application to manage staff and positions. Weekend call for safety huddle.
- 4. PLANNING ACTIVITIES Assists in establishing departmental and section objectives by collaborating with the Director, Administrative Director, Pathologists, Outreach Manager, Technical Specialists and Staff to identify laboratory needs. Assists in the implementation of hospital policies and programs as needed. Participates in the formation of the operating and capital budgets throughout the year.
- 5. PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT Sets goals with personnel documenting above or below average job performance. Conducts performance appraisals, tracks attendance/tardiness and processes payroll. Reviews master schedule for lab area(s) and verifies coverage for the department. Handles vacation requests and all scheduling issues. Arranges for orientation and training of personnel. Collaborates with the Program Director/Operations Manager in hiring, counseling, interviewing and disciplinary actions involving employees.
- 6. MATERIALS MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS Establishes and maintains par-level of supplies. Obtains pricing information from vendors. Schedules appointments and interviews representatives as needed. Collaborates directly with Materials Management and vendors to resolve problems by using own initiative. Evaluates suggestions for reducing costs in the department and implements it.
- 7. QUALITY ATTRIBUTES Motivates staff of all types and levels to perform and function at their optimum capacity Actively promotes the quality attributes of teamwork, fiscal responsibility, accountability, patient focused care, flexibility, creativity and leadership as required by the Hospital's Mission Statement
- 8. PERSONAL CAREER GROWTH Identifies own learning needs. Attends inservice programs and outside workshops, seminars, training classes and educational programs to keep current in technical and management developments of the field. Demonstrates this knowledge by contributing to improved laboratory service.
BS in Medical Technology, Life Science or equivalent. Master's degree preferred, but not required.
Minimum 5 years as a Medical Technologist, 3 years Supervisory Experience, 2 years on the job to become proficient with our institution. Able to fulfill the requirement of the State of CT for general supervisor. Advanced knowledge of Hematology is required as well as knowledge of laboratory regulatory requirements for CAP and DPH.
ASCP certification or equivalent required
Working in a normal clinical laboratory environment. Interpersonal skills are required as most of the manager's job is accomplished through the work of others. Must be familiar with regulatory requirements and able to assist in inspections. Technical skills are required in the areas managed, only a working knowledge of the other areas is required.
Lifting of medium weight objects. Working with computers.