To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Directs the activities of Central Sterile Supply Assistants, Technician IIs, Technician Is, and Inventory Associates engaged in decontaminating, assembling, sterilizing, wrapping, dispensing and preparing of case carts and other supplies for the operating room and other patient care areas and the management of an extensive inventory of complex specialty instrumentation. Schedules, assigns, and supervises the daily flow of work through the department and interacts with surgeons, OR staff, vendors and other customers in the provision of accurate efficient and high quality services., Is responsible for all CSS Supply inventory control, ordering and receipt systems, computerized instrument kit counts sheets for the OR, DS, Labor & Delivery and CSS. Performs the duties of a buyer for the purchasing of instrumentation and supplies for CSS.
- 1. ADMINISTRATIVE AND OPERATIONAL
- 2. Responsible for the on-going development and revision of department policies and procedures governing all facets of CSS operations with specific emphasis on those required by regulatory agencies.
- 3. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of policies and procedures governing all CSS sterilization and supply processing functions. Develops and maintains understanding of all instrumentation and power equipment systems.
- 4. Interacts with instrumentation manufacturers to ensure proper adherence by CSS to AAMI recommendations governing the decontamination and sterilization of complex surgical instrumentation.
- 5. Manages the timely and accurate preparation of instruments, equipment and supplies ensuring adherence to all established standards.
- 6. Interacts and collaborates with surgeons, cluster leaders and other OR Staff to resolve conflicts, develop solutions to operational problems, develop and update procedures, instrument trays, case cart picklists and physicians preference lists. Develops and maintains good working relationships with all customers.
- 7. Accommodates physicians' requests for special consignment instrumentation as needed for complex surgical procedures, interacting with instrument company representatives to ensure delivery of these items in a timely manner to enable proper processing for scheduled procedures.
- 8. Interacts and collaborates with staffs from Ambulatory Surgery as well as staff from other health care facilities to coordinate the loaning and borrowing of instrumentation.
- 9. Ensures adequate levels of supplies are maintained for CSS operations.
- 10. Supervises the timely and accurate preparation of case carts including use of OR schedule and ORIS System. Collaborates with ORIS office in the revision and development of accurate OR pick lists for each service area.
- 11. Demonstrates critical thinking and analytical abilities to analyze department operations, flow chart processes, identify problem areas and ultimately develop solutions and changes that positively impact efficient production high quality sterile products and achieve expense reductions.
- 12. Evaluates departmental workflow and reacts accordingly by adjusting daily assignments to meet departmental demands, including breaks and lunch periods.
- 13. In conjunction with Engineering, develops programs for the on-going preventative maintenance of equipment to ensure adherence to all regulatory requirements. Serves as point person to coordinate any, and all, equipment maintenance or as needed services documenting accordingly on Maintenance Log. Ensure all staff understand and adhere to documentation procedure.
- 14. Completes Hospital/Accident Reports as needed with carbon copy to manager, and makes recommendations to address/respond to reported incidents. Ensures that staff has knowledge of safe instrument handling practices to prevent injury.
- 15. Interacts with Department of Epidemiology and Infection Control to ensure adherence to Infection Control guidelines.
- 16. Initiates changes in policies and procedures that will enhance quality, reduce costs and improve service to CSS customers.
- 17. STAFF SCHEDULING AND BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY
- 18. Develops staffing practices reflective of the changing needs of customer areas. Maintains posted schedule at all times replacing old schedule with a new schedule one week in advance.
- 19. Completes staff assignment sheets at lest one (1) week in advance. Establishes agreement with Lead Staff on location of sheets in event of supervisor's absence.
- 20. Completes daily hours accounting and reports results to manager weekly on Mondays.
- 21. Controls hours within budget and develops creative solutions to workload fluctuations.
- 22. Develops and administers Vacation/PTO approval policy turning over all staff requests within 48 hours.
- 23. Assigns staff appropriately to ensure maximum efficiency, productivity and coverage of all areas Sunday through Saturday.
- 24. Ensures weekend coverage and adherence to work completion expectations. Checks in or weekends and off shift as needed.
- 25. Prioritizes work according to needs of OR and other customers throughout shifts.
- 26. Monitors staff adherence to payroll policies governing signing in and out, breaks, lunch, and scheduled hours.
- 27. Performs operations management functions to quantitatively develop standards for the production of goods and services and develops written schedules for each task assignment with identification of standards of performance within each Central Sterile Function.
- 28. TRAINING AND PERFORMANCE ASSESSMENT
- 29. In conjunction with professional organizations, develops internal and external programs that qualify for Contact Education Units (CEU's) in order to satisfy certification requirements for the staff of certified Techs.
- 30. Completes Daily Supervisor Reports and ensures all shift end standards are met Sunday through Saturday.
- 31. Conducts performance appraisals per policy (drafts completed one (1) month in advance for manager's review).
- 32. Utilizes Employee Orientation Program to properly train all new, transferred or promoted staff and fulfills documentation requirements. Verifies that staff demonstrate competency in all assigned functions through observation and assessment of records and actual performance.
- 33. Retrains staff as scheduled or required using CBO methodology and fulfills documentation requirements.
- 34. Provides quality assurance for case carts ensuring adherence to standards and accuracy of carts.
- 35. Participates in the interview process for the selection and promotion of staff.
- 36. Monitors and measures staff adherence to established procedures and techniques and develops plans to ensure performance improvement. Ensures that staff demonstrate competency in all job related functions.
- 37. Develops and implements training programs to integrate new sterilization technologies with current processing methods, ensuring adherence to all regulatory requirements.
- 38. EMPLOYEE RELATIONS
- 39. Provides documentation and investigation of all incidents of incomplete or incorrect performance.
- 40. Counsels staff as required and interacts with Employee Relations Department administering disciplinary actions according to Hospital and Department Policies.
- 41. Conducts monthly staff meetings to communicate Department Policy/Procedure changes, updates staff on organization initiatives and solicits staff feedback on operational issues.
- 42. Follows through on issues identified by staff in monthly staff meetings, and develops and implements creative solutions to identified issues.
- 43. Ensures attendance policy adherence by monitoring absences and tardiness, and administering disciplinary action as appropriate.
- 44. Plans and conducts at least monthly meetings with CSS and OR staff to develop working relationships, provide structure for customer feedback and jointly solve problems.
- 45. Develops and implements programs to enhance current criteria based evaluation system.
- 46. MATERIALS COORDINATION
- 47. Oversees the performance of the daily inventory of all OR Case Cart supplies, working with the Supply Inventory Associate to ensure the uninterrupted flow of Case Cart Supplies to the OR.
- 48. Reviews the daily Case Cart pick sheet summary report for missing supply items and instrumentation for the adequacy of inventory levels on hand. Works with the Supply Inventory Associate to resolve supply shortages. Identifies repetitive problems with instrumentation levels and reviews needs with the Cluster Coordinators to establish the appropriate inventory levels.
- 49. Is responsible for maintaining the computerized Instrumentation Inventory Control System, make changes to the existing count sheets as requested by the OR Cluster Coordinators or other responsible staff from ODS and Labor & Delivery. Adds and deletes as appropriate count sheets for new and obsolete kits.
- 50. Coordinates the repair/replacement and sharpening of instrumentation through various vendors to ensure the proper condition of all items are maintained on the kits.
- 51. Is responsible for maintaining adequate instrumentation and supply inventory levels by performing the duties of a buyer and receiver on the Hospital Materials Management System (Global).
- 52. Assists in the development of the Capital Budget Requests for both Central Sterile Supply and the OR and executes capital budget purchasing requests as funds are made available.
- 53. Works with the Nurse Managers to maintain updated CSS hours trays and establish appropriate set inventory par levels on their units.
- 54. Works with the Supply Inventory Associate to establish supply systems to include the establishment of shelf par levels for all sterile items dispensed by CSS to both the inpatient and ancillary user areas.
- 55. Works with the CSS management staff to resolve any inventory issues (supply instrument, linen) and to review existing systems for effectiveness and appropriateness. Revise Policies and Procedures to allow for improved support for user areas.
- 56. Plans for coverage of the supply Inventory Associate in their absence.
- 57. Completes all special CSS materials management projects as directed by the CSS Manager.
- 58. Represents the department of CSS on several committees such as CCSS Supply Sub Committee to provide updated inventory data to effectively reflect items supplied from Central Sterile Supply to all user areas on the Order Entry System.
- 59. Works at developing systems with the Cluster Coordinators to streamline and consolidate the existing OR kit and instrument inventories.
- 60. Working in cooperation with the purchasing department, identifies and pursues changes in products; costs, vendors and/or practices to reduce materials expense in CSS.
Graduation from high school with B.S. or B.A. college degree in Arts or Science preferably in a health care related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification as an OR Technician, LPN Scrub Nurse, or NICHSPDP certification. Demonstrated knowledge of AAMI, EPA, OSHA and other regulatory requirements and standards of practice governing a CSS operation.
Two (2) to five (5) years supervisory experience in a Central Sterile Supply or OR environment with extensive knowledge of instrumentation, OR medical and surgical supplies and OR/CSS operations. Experience with new sterilization technologies is preferred.
Interaction and development of relationships with surgeons and staff of all levels, independent decision making, sensitivity to organizational structures within the OR and ability to function independently in critical situations. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Working knowledge of computer software (spreadsheets, word processing, case scheduling) and experience in the management of an extensive inventory of complex surgical instrumentation. Must be knowledgeable of materials management systems including inventory, ordering and utilization monitoring and reporting.