To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reference Laboratory Associates work in the Core Laboratory as part of a team with the Laboratory Associates and the Medical Technologists. The Reference Laboratory Associates report to laboratory coordinators, assistant chief technologists and laboratory managers in the Core Laboratory. Their responsibilities include the processing of all specimens to be sent to Reference Laboratories, which includes: packaging, shipping of specimens; faxing, mailing, and filing of patient reports; and acting as a resource person for physicians and other health care personnel who have questions regarding reference-type tests, specimen requirements, results, etc. The Reference Laboratory Associate will also be capable of performing basic tasks of the Laboratory Associate, such as answering phones, filing of laboratory requisitions, test add-ons, etc. in the event that help is needed in that area of the laboratory.
- 1. Specimen Processing - Processes the specimen according to test requirements. follows up with ordering location any errors in ordering (incorrect tube types, incorrect specimen transport, etc.). Accurately transcribes ordering information to reference requisitions or reference computer system; maintains accurate records of all daily transactions. Accurately prepares all specimens for shipping; correlates patient specimens to appropriate requisitions; ensures that specimens have been stored in the proper fashion (frozen, refrigerated, ambient); ensures that specimens are sent out to reference labs in a timely fashion . Packages specimens for shipment via mail in compliance with all shipping regulations; maintains accurate records of specimens shipped.
- 2. Reporting: Ensures that all patient results are transmitted to the physician in a timely fashion, including scanning of the reports in LIS. Faxes or calls all abnormal results upon receipt. Responds quickly and accurately to phone inquiries. Ensures results in LIS are finalized.
- 3. Customer Service: Demonstrates excellent customer service by answering the phone within three (3) rings. Always identifies oneself by name and department. Retrieves and reports patient data using appropriate medical terminology. Is capable of acting as a resource person in the reference area, by answering questions regarding specific tests, specimen requirements, testing schedules/availability, test turnaround times, etc. Handles all problems in a thorough and professional manner. Communicates directly with Reference laboratories in order to resolve any issues or problems with patient specimens, or to obtain information requested. Refers problems of a complex nature to the Reference Coordinator or Laboratory Manager.
- 4. Computer skills - Is proficient in the use of all hospital-based computer systems, including LIS. Is proficient in the use of all Reference laboratory computer systems. Performs basic operator functions, to include basic troubleshooting, for office equipment, including fax machines, computer printers, reference laboratory printers, etc.
- 5. Send out Bench reviews, add-on's and vetting process - accurately reviews the Send out bench for missed tests. Is proficient at add-on process. Proficient at the high expense vetting process. Assists the lab manager with reference laboratory billing issues/problems.
High school graduate; Associates degree preferred but not required.
Two (2) to three (3) years experience working in a clinical laboratory; previous experience with handling reference specimens is preferred, but not required.
Working knowledge of computer systems and medical terminology. Typing experience required (20-25 wpm). Excellent customer service skills and communication skills required.
No special working demands.