To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Performs a variety of routine tasks and manual work within the dining services area of Food & Nutrition to assist in ensuring quality food and beverage items are served to customers. Assigned work area may include: the preparation, assembly, set-up and service of food and beverage items to patients, staff and visitors; washing of dishes, pots, pans, and food service equipment; the maintenance of a clean and sanitized food service environment. All tasks are performed under direct supervision, according to departmental procedures and specific task assignments. (Up to 20 points within the Responsibilities Section may be reallocated based upon the actual task assignments performed by an employee during the review period.) Demonstrates outstanding customer service and the Key Behaviors outlined in the Hospital's Core Success Factors in all interactions.
- 1. FOOD PREPARATION - Completes assigned food preparation duties utilizing basic kitchen utensils to cut, mix, assemble, plate, or otherwise prepare sandwiches, salads, fruits and desserts or other cold food items for patients, visitors and staff, maintaining food safety standards.
- 2. DINING ROOM - Sets up all equipment and supplies needed for dining room. Maintains a clean and sanitary environment in the dining room and patio throughout meal service by cleaning and sanitizing tables, chairs, microwaves, pictures and floors. Maintains a well-stocked and clean condiment area to ensure cafeteria patrons receive all the necessary trays, condiments and utensils for a pleasant dining experience. Empties trash receptacles in work area. Acts as an advocate by answering questions regarding accessibility to other areas of the hospital.
- 3. FOOD SERVICE STATION - Sets-up assigned service station (e.g. Entree, beverage, deli, soup, salad and grab n- go) to ensure that cafeteria-s customers are served quality and safe food in a timely manner. Prepares, portions and serves food and beverage items. Replenishes food service stations accordingly. Correctly uses a calibrated thermometer to verify and document that all foods are properly maintained at specified internal temperatures. Takes corrective action when proper food holding temperatures are not met. Consistently and appropriately covers, labels, dates and stores all food items. Reports any food products of questionable quality to manager. Rotates stock according to FIFO method. Suggestive sell food products to customers.
- 4. CATERING -Assembles food trays and associated products and utensils, sets up of rooms for catered events, and replenishes food items as necessary; and serves food items at special functions, as requested. Maintains knowledge of food products being served or delivered
- 5. CLEANING/SANITATION - Performs a variety of routine and heavy cleaning utilizing equipment to clean cafeterias, patio and vending areas to assure a clean and sanitary environment. Cleans vents, equipment, walls, doors, windows, mirrors, and exhaust hoods. Completes all sweeping and mopping of cafeterias and vending areas daily. Moves equipment and furniture to clean floors and walls, and returns equipment and furniture to proper location after cleaning. Breaks down dish machine and cleans equipment. Checks and replenishes all soap and towel dispensers. Empties and cleans trash receptacles. Completes any special project as assigned.
- 6. SANITATION AND PERSONAL HYGIENE - Consistently follows established sanitation and personal hygiene guidelines to help prevent the spread of food borne illness. Maintains a clean and neat work area by adhering to the -clean as you go- policy. Proper hand washing techniques are followed at all times. Cleans and sanitizes all food handling equipment prior to use according to standard procedures. Uses and stores cleaning agents properly.
High School Graduate or equivalent (GED) is required. An understanding of basic dietary principles is preferred.
Minimum of 6 months of work experience is preferred.
Must have a demonstrated ability to read, write and understand English; legible handwriting. Must be able to follow verbal and written instructions in order to accomplish all items on Task Assignment list during assigned shift, and to meet needs of customers. Must demonstrate basic understanding of the importance of interpersonal and customer service skills within a food service environment.
Moderate physical activity, requires ability to stand and walk more than 4 hours per day, with ability to lift, push and pull carts, pallets and food supplies (occasionally up to 50 pounds, frequently up to 30 pounds and/or continuously up to 10 pounds). Work environment involves moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises which require following basic safety precautions; and, working with cleaning chemicals requiring Personal Protective Equipment (PPE's) provided.
SEIU - union position