To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Directs the programs and work efforts of the HVAC and Mechanical sections engaged in maintenance and service of heating, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, piping, mechanical equipment, and grounds. Shares responsibility for energy management and conservation programs of the Hospital and acts as a liaison with the Yale University Sterling Power Plant concerning operational deficiencies; acts in the absence of the Director of Engineering, as needed; responsible for reviewing the design and monitoring the installation of all HVAC and Mechanical Systems during construction.
- 1. Tracks and monitors the shop's monthly, quarterly and annual financials for budgetary compliance, appropriate allocation and necessary cash flow modification.
- 2. Supervises, directs, and inspects the work efforts of the HVAC/Ref and Maintenance Mechanics sections through their respective foremen. Provides periodic reports of activity.
- 3. Establishes programs and coordinates such programs for providing preventive maintenance and equipment monitoring including the supervision of maintenance contracts, air and water balancing, pneumatic and electrical controls, oxygen deliveries, maintenance, steam trap testing and repair, main valve testing, and general service of a variety of air conditioning, refrigeration units, and general utility systems, including all mechanical equipment and vehicles and equipment associated with Grounds Maintenance.
- 4. Reviews all HVAC and Mechanical construction drawings to ensure compliance with proper design procedures. Responsible for monitoring the installation of new HVAC and Mechanical Systems during construction phase to ensure compliance with specifications. Works closely with the Project Design Section and supports their activities.
- 5. Ensures that environmental conditions within the Hospital comply with accepted standards of comfort and health.
- 6. Assists in the development and implementation of energy usage for all HVAC and Mechanical Systems.
- 7. Directly supervises the Mechanical and HVAC.
- 8. Participates in the selection and training of employees. Ensures that performance appraisals conducted by the Foremen reporting to this position are done in a fair and equitable manner Handling appropriate action, as well as recommendations and responsibilities for promotions, transfers, wage changes and terminations's.
- 9. Assists in the design of new HVAC and Mechanical Systems including layout of ductwork and modifies existing systems where applicable. Insures units are installed meeting manufacturer's specifications.
- 10. Acts as a liaison with the Yale University Sterling Power Plant's personnel to ensure that adequate chilled water and steam is supplied to the Hospital at all times. Assists in the development and implementation of programs to reduce chilled water usage during those periods when the chilled water supply is inadequate.
- 11. Develops and implements long range programs to correct HVAC and Mechanical System problems.
- 12. Reviews problems of the HVAC and Mechanical sections and keeps supervisor informed of corrective action taken.
- 13. Makes recommendations pertaining to annual Capital Budget Requests.
- 14. Assumes the duties of the Director of engineering in his/her absence, as directed. Oversees equipment and some Capital Project installations directly.
- 15. Coordintes the shutdowns of HVAC and Mechanical. is expected to be present during all major shutdowns of HVAC or Mechanical systems.
- 16. Deals with outside contractors to obtain estimates on HVAC and Mechanical projects. During this process, may assist in developing formal specifications and drawings to allow proper bid procedure to be followed.
- 17. Assists in the development of a comprehensive computerized energy management system for all buildings. Insures (2) building automation systems are accurate, up-to-date. Software is current and training is adequate.
- 18. Shares responsibility for the programming and operation of the Honeywell and Johnson Controls for Energy and First Computer system.
- 19. Ensures that monthly meetings between the Foreman of each section and his/her staff are held to discuss problems, concerns, policies, procedures, etc. Also, ensures that one-on-one meetings with each member of their staff is held.
- 20. Oversees budgets for Maintenance Mechanics and HVAC/REF.
- 21. Oversees maintenance and HVAC service contracts and assists in keeping construction costs to minimum by negotiations and assuming more responsibility of the equipment currently under contract.
- 22. Constantly monitors staff efficiency to evaluate and change operations to reduce salary and overtime costs.
- 23. Ensures that all assigned personnel follow departmental policies and procedures.
- 24. Develops short and long-term programs to address and corrects problems in assigned areas of responsibility.
- 25. Participates in various site inspections in the Hospital complex with insurance carriers, Fire Marshal and ohter individuals for monitoring of compliance with accreditation and safety standards.
- 26. Demonstrates interpersonal behavior, such as courtesy and discretion which fosters positive customer relations.
- 27. Demonstrates and communicates sensitivity to the needs and concerns of all customers, as well as co-workers, in the performance of work activities.
- 28. Performs other job-related duties as may be necessary.
- 29. On a rotating basis, performs duties of Engineering Supervisor on call.
- 30. Functions as the individual ultimately responsible for the ocupational health and safety of all members of the HVAC/Refrig and Mechanics shops.
- 31. Oversees the functions and behavior of all HVAC/Refrig and Mechanics to ensure equitable compliance with the Hospital's published Personnel and Administrative Policies and Procedures.
- 32. Works with staff to develop and enhance team performance in the accomplishment of the Departments' mission.
- 33. Works with employees at all levels in the Department to establish a foundation of mutual respect, self-worth and sense of active participation and to realize their ability to affect outcomes.
- 34. With the involvement of all personnel, champions action necessary to achieve high customer satisftion scores and to focus on those things which support the whole Hospital's mission to provide outstanding patient care.
- 35. Works in the development and maintenance of an environment conducive to the performance of high quality work through on-going communications with employees, accountability, the provision of proper maintenance systems, tools, techniques, materials and technical training.
- 36. Monitors performance through various managerial tools and reports and takes corrective action as indicated by data which is 'off normal' or outside the bounds of established limits.
- 37. Prepares performance appraisals for all responsible personnel.
- 38. Works with the staff to ensure compliance with all federal, state and local laws, regulations, codes and standards pertaining to all aspects of physical plant operations.
BS Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience.
Seven (7) to ten (10) years experience in supervision of mechanical trades.
Ability to read blueprints and modify HVAC systems. Strong communications skills and managerial skills required.
Ability to climb ladders. Works on equipment mounted on rooftops, above ceilings and in crawl spaces.