To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our
Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion -
must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Has responsibility and accountability for improving the quality and efficiency of clinical, operational and financial
processes of Digestive Health, and the satisfaction of internal and external customers ., Provides the framework,
coordination, and direction for the systemic monitoring and evaluation of process improvements projects with
medical, nursing and support services to plan, organize, facilitate and implement efforts to improve process
efficiencies, and positively effect quality and service throughout Digestive Health. Transmits values, communicating
ideas, initiating and maintaining programs and systems and continuously assesses the practice environment .
Provides project management expertise necessary to drive significant breakthroughs within Digestive Health .
Responsible for independent acting in project oversight, systems design and implementation of special projects .
Uses Six Sigma, LEAN, change management and acceleration (e.g. CAP, Workout), and other available
performance improvement methodologies to achieve these goals ., Utilizes available databases to provide financial
and operational recommendations and assess the impact of acceptable clinical options. Continually monitors and
performs monthly review of operating results.
1. Influences and communicates with all levels of clinical, financial, and operational management concerning
team goals and progress. Accomplishes these goals by utilizing RIMS system to develop supporting
integrated clinical, financial, and operational data and reports.
2. Uses Six Sigma, CAP, LEAN, and Workout methodologies to achieve process improvement. Provides
mentoring to other employees on the philosophy, application, tool usage and methodologies of Six Sigma,
CAP, LEAN and Workout and other performance improvement methodologies. Facilitates integration of
methodology with external vendors and customers.
3. Provides key financial, operational and clinical data highlighting business and operational issues requiring
management attention and resources. Participates in departmental task forces and committees to provide
operational input. Makes quality-focused recommendations relative to the operational management of
4. Designs and utilizes dashboards and reports (both at Executive and Team Levels) to monitor key critical to
quality measurements and operational goals. Drives utilization of dashboards by all team members. Assures
real time and digital access to dashboards. Develops analyses that meet users' needs and support YNHH
business plan relating to Perioperative Services. Provides seamless clinical and financial data in a useable
format allowing for the identification, analysis and evaluation of alternative strategies as solutions of business
and operational issues requiring management attention. Uses data to continually model volume, revenue,
expense, demographic and payer mix, and clinical process changes and their departmental and institutional
5. Identifies and manages resources required to successfully execute projects. Proposes process technology
improvements to successful completion using quality methodologies in both individual and cross -functional
team settings in order to enhance productivity, quality, and customer satisfaction. Drives measurable and
sustainable improvement within the Perioperative Services to eliminate defects.
6. Benchmarks both internal and external business processes to identify best in class processes and bring
them into use for Perioperative Services and Yale-New haven Hospital. Provides seamless clinical and
financial data in a useable format allowing for identification, analysis and evaluation of alternative strategies as
solutions of business and operational issues requiring management attention. Baselines, improves and
controls measurement systems, reporting mechanisms, and data accuracy for all related master data.
7. Develops digital solutions as part of the process change control plan where practical. Simplify process inputs
and outputs to create standardization and improve execution. Where differentiation is required, utilizes
process improvement to ensure all unique processes are executed.
8. Provides a wide variety of administrative and financial support to the Perioperative Services Executive Team
necessary for the operation of Perioperative Services. Performs other administrative duties within
Perioperative Services as required.
9. Promotes professional accountability for clinical practice improvements. Leads, influences and motivates
groups within Perioperative Services to critically examine practice.
10. Facilitates with Perioperative Executive Team necessary changes in the governance, managerial, support and
clinical processes that affect outcomes across Perioperative Services .
11. Promotes consistency of practice within and across Perioperative Services. Uses clinical knowledge and
skill in database analysis to identify opportunities to positively influence practice.
12. Teaches Quality Improvement theory, study designs, statistical analysis, and problem solving related to
process analysis. Uses teaching / learning theories and principles to foster the educational development of
staff and self. Provides education in the approach and methods of quality assessment and improvement
throughout Perioperative Services management and staff involved in monitoring and evaluation of projects .
13. Networks with other quality improvement professional to keep abreast of changes in quality management
field, to benchmark with other organizations, and to gain access to new ideas outside the organizations.
14. Serves as a resource by providing expert knowledge of regulatory standards and accrediting process (i.e.
TJC, Leapfrog, DPH). Participates in regulatory activities within Perioperative Services.
15. Assists with the application of research strategies in identifying, monitoring and evaluating opportunities to
improve patient care.
16. Facilitates implementation and evaluation of evidence-based practice in Perioperative Services.
EDUCATION (number of years and type required to perform the position duties):
Bachelor Degree required; Masters preferred
EXPERIENCE (number of years and type required to meet an acceptable level of performance):
Three to five years experience with demonstrated leadership experience and performance improvement experience
Knowledge and experience of CAP, Workout, Six Sigma, and LEAN is preferred. Proven analytical / problem-solving
skills. Outstanding communication, presentation and facilitation skills. Strong computer skills (e.g., Excel.
PowerPoint and Minitab). Demonstrated ability to successfully lead process change.
ACCOUNTABILITY (how this position is held accountable for such as goals achievement, budget adherence, or
other areas of accountability):
Identifies and monitors key critical to quality measurements in Digestive Health. Ensures position improvement on
these measurements and develops controls to ensure that these key areas are sustained.
COMPLEXITY (describe planning, problem solving, decision making, creative activity, or other special factors
inherent in the responsibilities of this position):
In personal and job-related decisions and actions, consistently demonstrates the values of integrity (doing the right
thing), patient-centered (putting patients and families first), respect (valuing all people and embracing all differences),
accountability (being responsible and taking action), and compassion (being empathetic).
Develops guidelines for organizing ideas, implementing strategies, harmonizing and directing elements essential to
achieving objectives. Responsible for providing the framework, coordination and direction for the systematic
monitoring and evaluation of the quality of nursing and other patient care provided to patients in Digestive Health.