To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for assigning, directing and evaluating the work of personnel assigned to the section. Utilizes supervisory expertise to ensure that quality service/care is delivered. Serves as a resource to staff to answer questions and to resolve issues and problems. Responsible for formulating and implementing solutions to respond to and resolve customer requests, issues and problems, while meeting the changing demands and priorities of the hospital. Ensures positive interactions with patients, family members, third party representatives and hospital personnel, and promotes good customer relations in the work environment. Develops new procedures and participates in the planning and implementation of system improvements to enhance the operating functions of the department.
- 1. Provides day to day supervision of the staff and activities in the section. Manages the work activities of the Access staff to ensure an efficient and thorough work effort in the timely and accurate registration of hospital patients.
- 2. Responsible for the preparation and planning of work schedules as well as, ensuring all facilities and supplies are properly managed
- 3. Collaborates with management on revenue cycle data reviews and budget and financial issues.
- 4. Coordinates the collection and analysis of the section's outcomes measures, clinical quality, economic efficiency, patient satisfaction and comparison to national databases.
- 5. Monitors patient and physician satisfaction through the identification of opportunities for improving quality of services. Works with various departments, clinicians and medical staff to coordinate the registration and scheduling process.
- 6. Leads the selection, training and motivation of employees; makes effective decisions regarding hiring, terminations, discipline and changes in employment status. Conducts regular performance reviews for assigned personnel. Provides orientation for new employees; interprets for employees the Health Services Personnel Policies and Practices.
- 7. Serves as a resource to the staff, patients, families and others about concerns or complaints regarding the registration billing and accounts receivable process.
- 8. Assists staff members in identifying obstacles hindering the admission or registration process and helps to determine the course of action to be taken when analyzing and resolving problems. Makes sound decisions and works closely with staff when developing and implementing operating procedures as they relate to the area.
- 9. Develops an internal cross-training process so that staff members can be assigned to various responsibilities to ensure that departmental goals are met in a timely, accurate and efficient manner. Provides in-service training to other departments ensuring a clear understanding of the necessary procedures as they relate to hospital admissions and registrations as well the accounts receivable work efforts.
- 10. Regularly interprets the regulations and specific requirements of various third party payers and takes the appropriate actions to ensure compliance in order to minimize bad debt and facilitates the collection of the accounts receivable. Keeps staff abreast of any changes in policies and procedures by holding in ?services and maintaining procedure manuals.
- 11. Ensures the accurate and timely recording and reporting of daily and monthly census statistics for use in the Hospital Finance Statements. Utilizes personal computer to analyze workflow and patient volume. Develops and publishes reports as needed.
- 12. Regularly monitors and revises workflow to ensure pre-receivable issues are addressed with staff and affected departments. Evaluates the work, volume, complexity and its effectiveness to ensure the integrity of the information gathered, as it is disseminated throughout all the computer systems.
- 13. Maintains knowledge of current computer systems (i.e. CCSS, ORIS and EPIC). Participates in departmental and inter-disciplinary committees that influence or recommend policies and/or procedures affecting the admission/registration process for patients or computer system modifications.
- 14. Maintains open communication lines with patients, physicians, other staff members, family members, and related hospital personnel.
- 15. Participates in the development and maintenance of department standards of practice and in the quality assurance program. Assists in formulating programs to improve operations and staffing needs ensuring compliance with JCAHO standards.
- 16. Prepares and distributes effective management reports.
- 17. Performs other related duties and projects within the department as required by management
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, or related field required.
Five (5) years progressive experience in a hospital admitting, healthcare registration, billing or claims environment with strong third party insurance experience; with two (2) to four (4) years functioning in a role where they demonstrate leadership ability while directing the workflow of others. Strong exposure to customer relations and experience with computerized hospital/medical billing systems required. Prior work experience in an ambulatory care setting preferred.
Excellent interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills required. Demonstrated high level of oral and written communication skills. Must have the ability to work cooperatively and effectively with departmental staff, physicians and their staff, outside organizations and members of other hospital departments. Bilingual (English/Spanish) communication skills preferred. Ability to work independently. Self-motivated and goal-oriented individual. Ability to interpret guidelines established by healthcare industry and managed care companies.