To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
As a member of the Clinical Engineering Department the incumbent will perform a wide variety of planning, integration and maintenance work on medical equipment with the guiding principles of the YNHHS organization and business plans from the Clinical Engineering leadership. Perform preventative maintenance and trouble shoot problems with highly sophisticated mechanical, electrical, hydraulic and computer based technology. The incumbent will provide direction and training to colleagues, vendors and other personnel of the Yale New Haven Health System. They are responsible for the development and delivery of clinical education sessions to educate staff, students and others on the operation, hazards and healthcare necessity of the equipment.
Clinical Engineering Specialist III, provides expertise and guidance in the installation of 510k devices and required provisions such as power, IT network, and mounting. In order to be effective in the position the employee will be able to express ideas clearly and in a professional manner both orally and in writing. The interpersonal skills necessary for the position include effective communication to a wide variety of internal and external customers which foster a positive impression of YNHHS. The position does require on-call duties which will require occasional weekend and off hours work. There are travel requirements for the position which include support of YNHHS entities for Clinical Engineering purposes as well as training assignments in a broader geography.
Senior technical members of the Clinical Engineering team are expected to have extensive knowledge of clinical systems architecture used for medical device interoperability including clinical applications and specialized areas such as Radiology, Anesthesiology and Laboratory. The incumbent will foster cooperative interaction with co-workers and other hospital employees to achieve patient care goals. Responsibility for the position extends to analysis and the development of processes to improve the current state of YNHHS biomedical technology for the purposes of standardization, risk, inventory, and product lifecycle management.
- 1. Performs inspection, testing and preventative maintenance according to the Joint Commission, OSHA, other accrediting bodies and departmental standards of all equipment assigned to insure that it functions in a safe and proper manner. For a normal working year the technician will have quantifiable goals to achieve in total number of scheduled maintenance work orders to be completed per year.
- 2. Works from drawings, technical manuals, and other specifications to troubleshoot and repair medical and related equipment. The work will be measured for efficiency through turnaround time. In the realm of scheduled maintenance all work orders are to be completed within 60 days of assignment.
- 3. Troubleshoots equipment in a logical sequence which results in the proper identification and correction of malfunctions in a timely manner. Reactive maintenance requires the technician to communicate with all relevant resources for timely repair of equipment, work orders should take no longer than 5 business days to complete and return equipment to service.
- 4. Serves as a subject matter expert on a few medical technologies for the Clinical Engineering, front line patient care areas and contracting departments. To ensure timeliness of response to customers there will be measurement and scoring of the response timing to service requests assigned to the technician.
- 5. Responsible for keeping an accurate inventory of equipment and associated modules/probes, parts, test equipment and tools needed for proper maintenance for the fleet of equipment. As equipment is received into the hospital the incoming inspection of the equipment and documentation needs to be completed/in-processed to the inventory system within 48 hours.
- 6. Works with administrators, associated IT personnel, vendors and others to ensure proper flow of information through the electronic health record.
- 7. Acts as a preceptor to less experienced personnel in the department, providing on the job training as well as transfer of special which relate to higher level technologies.
- 8. Responsible for keeping abreast of technologies of current and future medical therapies which may be used in an academic-teaching healthcare system.
- 9. Personal goals and team building success factors will also be part of the performance assessment of the position by the discretion of management.
Certification and/or proven record of training in the maintenance of technologically advanced medical equipment required. An associate's degree in a technical field through mechanical, electrical, biomedical or other proven comparable education level required. Bachelor's level degree in electrical, mechanical, or biomedical technical training is preferable.
Thorough knowledge of technologically advanced medical equipment with a minimum of eight (8) years experience, an associate's degree in related field, and proof of cost savings through personal maintenance efforts. OR Thorough knowledge of technologically advanced medical equipment with a minimum of five (5) years experience, bachelor's degree in related field, and proof of cost savings through personal maintenance efforts.
Must have a current driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
Demonstrated capability and success in customer communication. Must be proficient use electronic schematics, blueprints, troubleshooting manuals, and direction provided via phone. Must be available to have flexibility in scheduling based on the needs of the hospital to minimize impact on patient care activities. Knowledge and daily use of safety policies, procedures, personal protective equipment, safety data sheets, and universal precautions. Ability to effectively lead the work of others. Ability to prioritize and handle high pressure situations.