To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Sr. HR Business Partner is responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management. The position serves as a human resources business partner and consultant to management working in a team environment with other human resources staff responsible for providing a broad range of employee relations and employment and staffing services to an assigned group of Yale New Haven Health System (YNHHS) departments and affiliates of YNHHS. The incumbent functions in a consultative, facilitative role in order to assist department management in achieving maximum utilization of their staff resources. Specific recruitment services provided will include, but not be limited to staff planning and forecasting, recruitment, selection, employee career assessment and development, turnover and retention analysis, training, EEO assessment, orientation of new employees, and employee counseling. Specific employee relations services will include, but are not limited to, provide counseling and consultative support to management staff and employees on a variety of employee relations issues including the grievance procedure, employee conduct and discipline, and human resources policies and procedures. Coordinates programs designed to provide recognition and awards for employee service. Responds to inquiries made by local, state and federal agencies concerning employment practices.
- 1. Meets regularly with assigned client group(s) and attends department meetings in order to understand goals and objectives and provide appropriate HR guidance and support.
- 2. Manages and resolves complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations. Partners with employees and managers to facilitate formal dispute resolution in a timely and effective manner.
- 3. Assesses the work environment and identifies problems or concerns where attention is necessary. Develops and implements appropriate action and training plans in order to promote and maintain a positive, inclusive work environment.
- 4. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partners with the legal department as needed/required.
- 5. Provides day-to-day performance management guidance to line management (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- 6. Assesses with department management the intermediate and long-term advancement potential of individuals and works to create organizational opportunities for development.
- 7. Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- 8. Provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
- 9. In conjunction with assigned client group(s), work to develop recruitment/staffing strategy for filling of current and projected open positions. May approve or disapprove requisitions as appropriate.
- 10. Partners with client group(s) on the creation of job requisitions in accordance with position control requirements, budget, etc. and works to resolve process issues (e.g., onboarding restrictions, budget errors, etc.)
- 11. Screens, interviews and assesses applicants using standardized format in order to facilitate consistency in the selection of candidates. Advises management of relevant strengths and weaknesses.
- 12. Hires applicants selected by department management and consults with compensation to assure proper salary level is assigned. Initiates the establishment of new hire records for onboarding, badging, orientation, etc.
- 13. Resolves issues with department management and employees related to staffing questions, the job posting process, transfers, etc.
- 14. Maintains awareness of recruitment sources, results and costs in order to contribute to analysis of recruitment effectiveness. Tracks turnover and prepares analysis as required.
- 15. Provides technical assistance and training on various HRIS IT systems and programs (e.g., applicant tracking system, exit interview, etc.)
- 16. Researches, prepares, and submits compliance response to agency and corporate compliance investigative complaints, discrimination, unfair labor practice, etc.
- 17. Identifies training needs for assigned client group(s) and participates in evaluation and monitoring of training programs to ensure success. Follows up to ensure training objectives are met.
- 18. Provides guidance and input on acquisitions, mergers, restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
- 19. Partner with assigned client group(s) on various system-wide projects, enhancements and committees (e.g., policy standardization, compensation, employee engagement, recognition, etc.)
- 20. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or closely related field, with a thorough working knowledge of Human Resources practices and employment techniques, and a thorough knowledge of state and Federal laws and regulations affecting employment.
Four (4) to five (5) years' experience in positions involving in depth exposure to employment practices, employee relations, interviewing and applicant assessment, compensation administration, state and federal laws and regulations. Demonstrated experience recruiting at a professional/managerial level and allied health professionals preferred.
Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written) and be able to interface effectively with employees and management and other members of the HR department. Must possess good analytical skills and be able to interpret and to communicate policies and procedures, contract language, etc. Must have some statistical background. Requires a strong working knowledge of state and federal employment laws including EEO, AAP compliance, Workers' Compensation,FMLA, O.S.H.A., etc. Must be able to function with a high degree of autonomy, confidentiality and with broad direction. Must have strong writing skills and be able to prepare presentations. Must be able to multi-task. Must be a team oriented. Experience on an HRIS system (Lawson, INFOR or People Soft, or comparable software). Strong Word and Excel skills.