To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for supervising the staff who perform a variety of access functions throughout the hospital including Admitting Associates, Patient Account Representatives, Agency Coordinators, and ED Registrars. Responsible for formulating and implementing solutions to respond to and resolve customer requests, issues and problems, while meeting the changing demands and priorities of the hospital and the third party environments. Ensures positive interactions with patients, family members, third party representatives and hospital personnel, and promotes good customer relations in the work environment. Works closely with patients, family members, social agencies and third party payors to ensure compliance with individual contract requirements in order to protect the patient and hospital from unnecessary financial loss. Develops new procedures and participates in the planning and implementation of system improvements to enhance the operating functions of the department.
- 1. Directly supervises the work activities of the Access staff to ensure an efficient and thorough work effort in the timely and accurate admission and registration of hospital patients.
- 2. Monitors patient and physician satisfaction through the identification of opportunities for improving quality of services. Works with various departments, clinicians and medical staff to coordinate the pre-admission, admission and registration process.
- 3. Participates in the selection, training, and motivation of employees; makes effective recommendations regarding hiring, terminations, discipline, and changes in employment status. Conducts regular performance reviews for assigned personnel. Provides orientation for new employees; interprets for employees the Health Services Personnel Polices and Practices.
- 4. Manages the scheduling of access areas to ensure that all areas are sufficiently covered. Ensures that work schedules are posted in a timely manner and is available on 24 hour call for consultation of problems and emergencies.
- 5. Serves as a resource to the staff, patients, families and others about concerns or complaints regarding the admitting, registration, billing and accounts receivable process.
- 6. Assists staff members identifying obstacles hindering the admission or registration process and helps to determine the course of action to be taken when analyzing and resolving problems. Makes sound decisions and works closely with staff when developing and implementing operating procedures as they relate to the area.
- 7. Develops an internal cross-training process so that staff members can be assigned to various responsibilities to ensure that departmental goals are met in a timely, accurate and efficient manner. Provides in-service training to other departments ensuring a clear understanding of the necessary procedures as they relate to hospital admissions and registrations as well the accounts receivable work efforts.
- 8. Regularly interprets the regulations and specific requirements of various third party payors and takes the appropriate actions to ensure compliance in order to minimize bad debt and facilitates the collection of the accounts receivable. Keeps staff abreast of any changes in policies and procedures by holding in-services and maintaining procedure manuals.
- 9. Ensures the accurate and timely recording and reporting of daily and monthly census statistics for use in the Hospital Finance Statements. Utilizes personal computer to analyze workflow and patient volume. Develops and publishes reports as needed.
- 10. Regularly monitors and revises workflow to ensure pre-receivable issues are addressed with staff and affected departments. Evaluates the work, volume, complexity and its effectiveness to ensure the integrity of the information gathered, as it is disseminated throughout all the computer systems.
- 11. Maintains knowledge of current computer systems. Participates in departmental and inter-disciplinary committees that influence or recommend policies and/or procedures affecting the admission/registration process for patients or computer system modifications.
- 12. Prepares and distributes effective management reports.
- 13. Performs other related duties and projects within the department as required by management.
(number of years and type required to perform the position duties): Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field required.
Three (3) years to five (5) years in a hospital admitting, registration, billing environment with strong third party insurance experience; with at least (1) to (2) in a supervisory capacity. Strong exposure to customer relations and experience with computerized hospital/medical billing systems required. Meditech experience preferred.
Excellent interpersonal, analytical and communication skills. Ability to motivate and manage a work group. PC skills required including knowledge of various software packages including the ability to use report writer. Ability to interpret guidelines established by healthcare industry and managed care companies.