To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible for managing the staff performing a variety of access functions including pre-registration, registration, verification, referral/authorization, and admitting functions. Responsible for formulating and implementing solutions to respond to and resolve customer requests, issues and problems, while meeting the changing demands and priorities of the hospital and the third party environments. Insures positive interactions with patients, family members, third party representatives and hospital personnel, and promotes good customer relations in the work environment. Works closely with patients, family members, social agencies and third party payors to ensure compliance with individual contract requirements in order to protect the patient and hospital from unnecessary financial loss. Develops new procedures and participates in the planning and implementation of system improvements to enhance the operating functions of the department. Responsible for coordinating workflow and solutions with all hospital departments.
- 1. Manages the work activities of the Access staff to ensure an efficient and thorough work effort in the timely
and accurate admission and registration of hospital patients.
- 2. Monitors patient and physician satisfaction through the identification of opportunities for improving quality of
services. Works with various departments, clinicians and medical staff to coordinate the pre-admission,
admission and registration process.
- 3. Leads the selection, training, and motivation of employees; makes effective decisions regarding hiring ,
terminations, discipline, and changes in employment status. Conducts regular performance reviews for
assigned personnel. Provides orientation for new employees; interprets for employees the Health Services
Personnel Polices and Practices.
- 4. Manages the scheduling of access areas to ensure that all areas are sufficiently covered. Ensures that work schedules are posted in a timely manner and is available on 24 hour call for consultation of problems and emergencies. Maintains a flexible schedule in order to coordinate staff and workflow for a 24/7 operation.
- 5. Serves as a resource to the staff, patients, families and others about concerns or complaints regarding the
admitting, registration, billing and accounts receivable process.
- 6. Assists staff members identifying obstacles hindering the admission or registration process and helps to
determine the course of action to be taken when analyzing and resolving problems. Makes sound decisions
and works closely with staff when developing and implementing operating procedures as they relate to the
- 7. Develops an internal cross-training process so that staff members can be assigned to various responsibilities to ensure that departmental goals are met in a timely, accurate and efficient manner. Provides in-service training to other departments ensuring a clear understanding of the necessary procedures as they relate to hospital admissions and registrations as well the accounts receivable work efforts.
- 8. Regularly interprets the regulations and specific requirements of various third party payors and takes the
appropriate actions to ensure compliance in order to minimize bad debt and facilitates the collection of the
accounts receivable. Keeps staff abreast of any changes in policies and procedures by holding in -services
and maintaining procedure manuals.
- 9. Ensures the accurate and timely recording and reporting of daily and monthly reports.
- 10. Regularly monitors and revises workflow to ensure pre-receivable issues are addressed with staff and affected departments. Evaluates the work, volume, complexity and its effectiveness to ensure the integrity of the information gathered, as it is disseminated throughout all the computer systems.
- 11. Maintains knowledge of current computer systems. Participates in departmental and inter-disciplinary committees that influence or recommend policies and/or procedures affecting the admission/registration process for patients or computer system modifications.
- 12. Prepares and distributes effective management reports.
- 13. Performs other related duties and projects within the department as required by management.
(number of years and type required to perform the position duties): Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, or related field required.
Five (5) years progressive experience in a hospital admitting environment with registration and strong third party insurance experience; with at least two years in a managerial role supervising admitting/registration staff. Strong exposure to customer relations and scheduling and computerized hospital/medical billing systems required.
: Managerial skills and demonstrated high level of oral and written communication skills. PC skills required including knowledge of various software packages including the ability to use report writer to mine data and produce statistical reports. Ability to interpret guidelines established by healthcare industry and managed care companies.