To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Accessions and prepares Cytology specimens for examination by cytotechnologists and pathologists. Assists physicians with fine needle aspirations. Enters gyn interpretations into the CoPathPlus computer system. Enters ICD9 and CPT4 codes on cytology specimens. Obtains and verifies receipt of surgical pathology specimens and accessions them into CoPath. Maintains the cutting room and tissue processors. Performs HIS registrations for nonpatient specimens. Maintains the autopsy suite and provides technical support to the Pathologists' Assistants . Provides technical support in processing patient fluids and tissue specimens to include specimen handling, processing, gross description, staining, and slide preparation. Provides general support to all sections of anatomic pathology. Works effectively with the customer to answer specimen or other laboratory related questions in a timely manner to ensure the best patient care.
- 1. Communication Skills/Customer Service: Receives calls for information. Ensure that the laboratory fulfills the mission of providing excellent patient care while maintaining patient confidentiality. .
- 1.1 Using all available resources, independently resolves phone inquiries within scope of expertise, recognizing when issues should be referred to technical or supervisory staff. Exceeds: Increases scope of expertise and serves as a resource to others.
- 2. Specimen Handling: Receives, sorts, redirects, accessions and processes specimens in order to ensure timely reporting of results. Ensures positive patient identification. Is able to independently troubleshoot specimen-related problems.
- 2.1 Follows the established sample handling guidelines and standard precautions. Triages to the appropriate area in a timely manner. Exceeds: No more than 2 sample processing errors. No sample processing errors that relate to correct patient identification. Examines a specimen upon each arrival to assure that it is properly processed (i.e., Rush, routine, frozen section, E&P receptor).
- 3. Computer Skills: Uses computer programs in laboratory and hospital based systems to ensure accurate data entry and retrieval. Recognizes and addresses problems, malfunction, downtime situations or crashes. Communicates and/or assists computer operations to resolve problems as documented by computer operations, managers and supervisors.
- 3.1 Follows downtime procedures to ensure continued processing of samples and reporting information. Exceeds: Implements and leads coworkers during computer downtimes.
- 4. Laboratory Support Functions: Performs a variety of ancillary functions in support of laboratory operations.
- 4.1 Accessions cytology specimens into CoPath. Transfer all pertinent information into the computer, add Cytology number to requisition form and slides and tray for staining. Mark STAT specimens.
High School diploma is required. Associates Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Health Sciences preferred. Courses in anatomy preferred.
Two (2) to three (3) experience in a hospital laboratory preferred.
Technical, communication, and organizational skills required. Attention to detail, medical terminology, and excellent keyboard skills required.
Requires walking, sitting and carrying specimens weighing up to 30 pounds. Working knowledge of computer systems, anatomy, and medical terminology. Typing experience required (20-25 wpm). Excellent customer service skills required to include: communication skills, telephone skills and interpersonal skills. Excellent attention to detail is a must. Must be able to perform multiple tasks and have the ability to prioritize. Flexibility in scheduling will be required.