To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Performs a comprehensive range of routine and special laboratory analyses on patient specimens in both routine and emergency situations. Such analyses incorporate a thorough knowledge of test principles and techniques permitting the proper evaluation of a specimen for processing, selection of the correct analytical technique, interpretation of data, and verifiction and communication of results. Responsible for all technical aspects in the Histology and Cytology clinical sections, regulatory compliance and personnel scheduling. In conjunction with the medical director and pathology manager, responsible for investigating, validating and implementing new technologies.
- 1. Prepares Tissue Specimens for Processing
- 1.1 Adheres to the procedure manual for proper handling of specimens and quality results
- 2. Continuous Quality Improvement
- 2.1 Displays ability to identify and correct any mislabeled blocks/slides
- 3. Equipment Maintenance/Purchase
- 3.1 Ensures maintenance of logs for routine maintenance on automatic slide stainers, microtomes, embedding stations, and other equipment used Histology
- 4. Leadership Responsibilities
- 4.1 Communicates Hospital/Departmental/Section information via regularly scheduled staff meetings
- 5. Computer
- 5.1 Understands the Histology module of the CoPathPlus computer system and ensures that all staff can correctly compile and check logs, print labels, enter special stains and controls and verify work
- 6. Immunohistochemistry
- 6.1 Performs immunostaining with excellent quality results
- 7. Continuing Medical Education
- 7.1 Takes initiative to update knowledge of and skills in new procedures, equipment, methods, tools, techniques, etc
- 8. Code of Conduct Expectations
- 8.1 Consistently demonstrates behaviors that promote outstanding customer service
An Associate Degree in a histology or biological sciences program required. A baccalaureate degree is preferred.
For those having an Associate Degree, a minimum of five (5) years experience as a Histotechnician or Histotechnologist. For those having a Bachelor Degree, a minimum of three (3) years experience as a Histotechnician or Histotechnologist. Supervisory experience preferred.
HT (ASCP) Certification required. HTL(ASCP) Certification preferred.
Technical, communication, and organizational skills required, as well as excellent attention to detail and very good hand-eye coordination. Must have a working comprehension of the technical and procedural aspects of laboratory tests. Comprehends and follows procedural guidelines. Recognizes unexpected results and takes appropriate action.
Ability to do extended amounts of time sitting at a microtome or using a computer terminal. Repetative arm rotary action required. Sensory exposure to various organic solvents must be tolerated.