To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the direction of the Laboratory Manager, performs a wide variety of technical, administrative and supervisory duties. Oversees the daily operations of the Core Laboratory and performs testing and oversees quality control, quality assurance and equipment maintenance programs in the Core Laboratory.
- 1. Technical Competency: Demonstrates technical competency in specimen handling, the performance of routine and complex testing, quality control, component selection and component preparation.
- 1.1 Performs a wide variety of technical duties to ensure continuous reporting of accurate results in a timely manner.
- 2. Supervision: Supervises department staff to ensure compliance with department and hospital policies and procedures. Performs a variety of administrative functions to ensure continuous day to day operations.
- 2.1 Monitors daily work flow; and address problems/issues as they arise. Proactively and continually reassesses staff needs in the Core Lab section and rearranges staff as required in order to maintain optimum operational efficiency and attain target turnaround time goals.
- 3. Recordkeeping: documents test results and demonstrates good computer skills, consistent with delivery of the highest quality of patient care.
- 3.1 Reviews on a regular basis all aspects of the Core Lab QC program, including QC data assessment, documentation of corrective actions, review of QC data, investigation and documentation of actions in response to outliers/shifts/trends.
- 4. Training: Participates in training of technologists, medical technology students,residents, and others to ensure the educational objectives of the department are met.
- 4.1 Has excellent communication skills. Effectively communicates with staff in a clear and concise manner. Encourages and elicits feedback from staff on work process improvement to ensure proper training.
- 5. Independence and initiative: Demonstrates appropriate independent thinking and action. Demonstrates ability to evaluate, troubleshoot, and solve problems.
- 5.1 Recognizes situations that potentially compromise patient care or conflict with policy of the laboratory. Takes short-term corrective actions and reports occurrence to manager and/or department director.
Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology.
Two (2) to three (3) years clinical laboratory experience as a medical technologist, with experience in Hematology, Coagulation, Chemistry and Blood gases
ASCP certification, eligibility or equivalent
Basic management skills as well as working knowledge of principles of automated instrumentation. Excellent interpersonal and group leadership skills. Ability to instruct and coordinate the activities of assigned staff. Ability to interact with medical technology students and clinical laboratory residents and fellows.