To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Responsible and accountable for duties related to the preparation of trays and equipment, processing of general and specialty surgical instruments including cleaning, decontamination, inspection, assembly, wrapping and sterilization, quality control testing, monitoring of sterilization equipment and maintaining records. May perform assigned duties such as cleaning, stocking, transporting, and dispensing supplies and equipment. EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran.
- 1. Efficiently provides appropriate instrumentation for surgical procedures ensuring accuracy, proper functioning, processing, storage and usage according to scheduled and anticipated demand as measured by supervisor and end of shift inspections.
- 1.1 Removes, assembles and sorts instruments from Washer/Sterilizes in a timely manner, scans into SPM.
- 2. Demonstrates ability to manage and execute the case cart picking function using SPM and proper pick sheets, adherence to standard setup, quality assurance and timely delivery of end product as measured by OR, QA and reported incidents.
- 2.1 Through Epic and SPM, obtains and utilizes proper DPC sheets for case cart preparation function and demonstrates thorough understanding of DPC sheet accuracy based upon scheduled case type. Consults supervisor or Tech II resource person when required.
- 3. Processes user requests with a high degree of accuracy in an efficient and courteous manner as measured by supervisor observation and OR staff follow up.
- 3.1 Answers the telephone (using head set) identifying the department in a pleasant and courteous manner within three (3) rings, as observed by the supervisor or Lead Tech.
- 4. Manages information received or required during the daily course of activities as observed by the supervisor and Lead Techs.
- 4.1 Demonstrates knowledge of machine alarms and warning mechanisms and responds accordingly.
- 5. Performs the sterilization procedure in a timely and accurate manner ensuring strict adherence to all documentation requirements as measured by daily supervisory QA of sterilization function at beginning and end of shift using SPM.
- 5.1 Performs daily biological testing of steam sterilizers on each steam autoclave. Biological validation is performed on every sterilization load.
- 6. Efficiently and accurately assembles and packages instruments and supplies in preparation and packaging area of CSS according to priority needs and daily assignment as measured by Supervisor, daily worksheets and supervisor end of shift rounds.
- 6.1 Utilizes inventory and assignment information and interprets needs for single instruments, according to processing need.
- 7. Demonstrates ability to manage and perform decontamination process to prevent transference of organisms to the sterile area of CSS as observed by the Supervisor and Lead Tech and as measured by end of shift inspections.
- 7.1 Checks all case carts and removes used case carts from elevator and sorts instruments and supplies accordingly.
- 8. Adheres to established department production standards for instrumentation case care production, decontamination, sterilization, and preparation and packaging area as measured by supervisor, worksheet, end of shift inspection and customer feedback.
- 8.1 Produces kits by priority at a consistent production rate that meets or exceeds the department standard of 900 instruments per eight (8) hour shift.
- 9. Adheres to established department standards for High Level Disinfection and Scope Processing as measured by the supervisor and data collected from SPM.
- 9.1 Inspect Scope to ascertain if the scope was pre-cleaned at the point of use. If it is determined that the scope was not pre-cleaned follow pre-cleaning instruction according to the manufacturer. Manually clean all scope channels containing lumens. Perform LEAK testing as per IFUs. Technician must demonstrate HLD competence for both manual and automatic re-processing.
High school graduate or equivalent.
Requires six (6) months of experience employed as a central service technician in a health care facility prior to January 1, 2016, or a certified registered central service technician credential administered by IAHCSMM or a certified sterile processing and distribution technician credential administered by CBSPD.
Must be competent and physically able to perform all duties in CSS independently (Decontam, Assembly, Sterilization and Distribution.) No current written disciplinary actions. Meet or exceed production standards. Applicant with no experience or certification must obtain a certified registered central service technician credential administered by IAHCSMM or a certified sterile processing and distribution technician credentialed administered by CBSPD within 24 months of hire.
Required to earn a certified registered central service technician credential administered by the International Association of Healthcare Central Service Materiel Management, or a certified sterile processing and distribution technician credential administered by the Certification Board for Sterile Processing and Distribution within 24 months of hire. Must maintain certification and/or employment status as a central service technician by annually completing a minimum of ten (10) hours of continuing education in areas related to infection control and decontamination and sterilization of reusable medical equipment, instruments and devices.
Knowledge of Operating Room surgical instrumentation and Quality Assurance practices. Ability to assemble all CSS, One Day surgery and Main Operating Room surgical instrumentation. Possess excellent knowledge of CSS operations. Must have excellent knowledge of sterilization equipment and sterility assurance practices. Must demonstrate proficiency in biological monitoring, testing of sterilization equipment and all required forms of documentation and record keeping. Must be able to solve problems utilizing excellent communication skills and medical terminology skills in potentially stressful situations. Must possess excellent critical thinking skills and demonstrate high reliability behaviors.
Must be able to lift a minimum of 30 pounds repetitively. Majority of tasks require ability to push, pull, bend and stand throughout 8 hour shifts and perform fine hand manipulations.Requires mental alertness and ability to perform multiple tasks. Physically and emotionally able to work under stress, stand, walk, lift and carry. Requires standing for periods of time. Requires stamina to work in a fast paced environment. Must be physically able to push/pull objects more than 30lbs., lift trays or equipment weighing up to 30 lbs. Requires ability to follow written and verbal instructions.