To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
This position reports to the Manager, Enterprise MPI & Patient Identity and is responsible for maintaining the data integrity of the facility and enterprise Master Patient Index across all entities of the Yale New Haven Health System. The individual provides resolution of MPI overlay errors and Mark for Merge requests. Incumbent also performs investigation and resolution of non-emergent potential duplicates using daily reports and task queues. Incumbent understands the legacy master patient indexes as well as the enterprise master patient index and the impact on downstream systems. Coordinates and communicates with clinicians, registration, billing, information technology staff and others as needed to facilitate MPI issue resolution and communicate outcomes. Provides 24/7 coverage on rotation basis.
- 1. Supports efforts to migrate to an enterprise-wide MPI including clean-up of historical duplicate records in EPIC and affected downstream systems.
- 2. Provides for ongoing data integrity of the enterprise Master Patient Index using established mechanisms to identify and prevent duplicate medical record numbers and patient overlays.
- 3. Provides for ongoing investigation and resolution of potential duplicate medical record numbers, both intra-facility and inter-facility, to support patient care and patient safety.
- 4. Responds in a timely manner to emergent notifications regarding MPI errors to ensure patient safety.
- 5. Tracks all aspects of merge notifications and communication throughout resolution to provide trending information and feedback to designated areas.
- 6. Monitors overlay report for potential patient identity issues as assigned and perform fact finding and analysis to resolve identified issues.
- 7. Coordinate daily notification with YNHHS entities impacting merge of downstream systems as appropriate.
- 8. Flags MRNs as Known Not Duplicates (KND?s) in Epic after investigation when appropriate to reduce potential for future errors and/or re-work on task queues.
- 9. Concurrently monitors origination points of duplicate number assignments and provides timely feedback to registration regarding findings.
- 10. Resolves patient identity events within established quality and productivity standards and provides reports to manager on request.
- 11. Assists with problem resolution regarding patient name changes and works collaboratively with clinical/registration staff to properly identify patients.
- 12. Responsible for correcting demographic data elements identified as incorrectly documented and/or scanned.
- 13. Notifies appropriate groups when merges are in pending re-submit status to facilitate resolution.
- 14. Runs various reports in EPIC such as Identity Events Report, Duplicate Report, and Dashboard reports daily.
- 15. Ability to react quickly in analyzing discrepancies in often real-time patient care and safety issues. Ability to differentiate between primary (Target) and secondary (Source) patients.
- 16. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school graduate, or equivalent required; Associates Degree preferred, or formalized medical record technician training.
Minimum of two (2) years experience in a health care setting with working knowledge of MPI functionality.
Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to deal professionally with other departments and stakeholders at all levels. Technically oriented with strong analytic and problem-solving skills. Proficiency in basic computer applications such as Microsoft Office, e-mail and internet.