To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of the Director, Community Connections and Social Impact, provides community service navigation for eligible beneficiaries. Responsibilities may include engaging community members and helping individuals navigate, access community services, and resources, and adopt healthy behaviors. The Community Health Worker will provide education and advocacy to assist individuals with accessing servicing including access to primary care. The Community Health Worker must demonstrate a commitment to providing health care to families in medically underserved communities, must demonstrate outstanding customer service and the key behaviors, outlined in the Yale -New Haven Hospital core success factors and standards of professional behavior.
Multiple Positions Available
1. Engages individuals during street/community outreach
2. Provides education on healthy behaviors during street outreach, advocacy, referral and support
Encourages healthy lifestyles for individuals, families, and communities through health promotions, outreach,
3.Inform individuals and families about resources that they would benefit from receiving, refer to resources that
they might be eligible to receive, and assist with navigation of the process.
4. Assists clients in accessing health related services, including but not limited to: obtaining a medical home ,
providing instruction on appropriate use of the medical home, overcoming barriers to obtaining needed medical
care and /or social services
5.Coach and assist patients with MyChart sign up
6.Continuously expands knowledge and understanding of community resources and services. Facilitates client
access to community resources, including locating housing, food, clothing, financial assistance resources,
providers to teach life skills, and relevant mental health services.
7. Assists clients in utilizing community services, including scheduling appointments with social services agencies and assisting with completion of
applications for programs for which they may be eligible.
8. Travels extensively to, outreach destinations, various agencies, and other community locations
Provides patient reminder calls and follow up calls for all appointments and /or referrals to community
9.Documents all client interactions in electronic database with accurate notes indicating interactions with
patients, documentation may include face-to-face visits, telephone communication, action plans, and letters
10. Maintains records of coordination of care, outreach, patient support and/or care management activities for
reporting and tracking purposes and completes all documentation
11. Attends and is prepared for scheduled supervision, team meetings, staff meeting, or rounds.
12. Seeks additional supervision or consultation as needed and follows through with supervisory directives
Builds and maintains positive working relations with client, providers, and agency representatives as
appropriate to ensure each patient receives comprehensive service.
13. Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with the care team to include patient navigators, and clinical staff
High School diploma/GED Required. College degree preferred. Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail. Bilingual- Spanish strongly preferred.
A minimum of 1-3 years' experience preferably in health care, human service setting or applicable volunteer experience
Bi-lingual candidates preferred. Valid drivers license needed
Completion of Patient Navigator or Community Health Worker Training Program preferred
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL DEMAND:
Ability to lift 10-15lbs
Positions are co-terminus with our Covid-19 Vaccination Sites as needed. Travel to various sites required- locations available in both Fairfield and New Haven Counties.
Evening hours and some weekend availability needed.