To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Reports to the Director, Outpatient Access, with responsibility for the management, coordination and direction of the work activities of the Outpatient Registration Staff throughout Yale New Haven Hospital. Ensures that all phases of the registration, are completed utilizing the customer relations approach in a timely, accurate and efficient manner and in keeping with current government regulations. Works with nursing and medical staff to coordinate an efficient registration process. Ensures that all insurance company and managed care requirements are adhered to and that staff obtain the necessary authorizations and approvals to protect the hospital and patient from unnecessary financial loss. Develops the staff to optimize their personal growth and contributions to the institution. Monitors the accuracy and effectiveness of the computerized scheduling and registration systems to maximize its utilization in each area. Coordinates the interface of related areas for peak efficiency. Responsible for satisfying the operational goals of the vendor contracts with Ambulatory Services and other hospital departments including all satellites.
- 1. Provides direction to the supervisors and lead staff in the Outpatient Registration areas throughout YNHH and satellites including Senior Registrars and Ambulatory Patient Account Representatives. Oversees the volume statistics, complexity of cases, and status in areas to ensure proper coverage and utilization of resources.
- 2. Demonstrates and communicates sensitivity to the needs and concerns of all customers as well as co-workers in the performance of work activities.
- 3. Evaluates the effectiveness of the registration process and its impact on billing and accounts receivable. Develops or revises procedures to improve the quality of registration that leads to a reduction in the Outpatient Accounts Receivable.
- 4. Acts as a liaison between the physicians and registration departments to establish procedures to identify and resolve problems while exercising diplomacy and tact.
- 5. Works with physician and nursing management staff in clinical areas to develop policies and/or procedures affecting the registration process for patients as it pertains to the outpatient environment.
- 6. Reviews patient accounts to assess potential outpatient registration difficulties throughout the institution. Develops and implements procedures to improve registration process.
- 7. Produces and makes presentations to departments on third party requirements.
- 8. Develops and implements an effective pre-registration system in conjunction with the scheduling system.
- 9. Analyzes computer reports, develops statistical data using spread sheet analysis (or equivalent), and is aware of new trends and/or potential problems. Submits daily and weekly reports. Develops new reports as department needs change.
- 10. Adheres to Hospital Credit Policy in the Clinic environment as directed by Hospital Administration.
- 11. Participates regularly in the selection, training and motivation of employees as well as making managerial decisions regarding hiring, terminations, promotions and/or transfers. Keeps employees informed as to current Hospital policies, procedures and changes.
- 12. Conducts regular performance reviews of employees as required. Reviews job performance standards with employees when necessary. Trains new employees and orients them regarding Hospital personnel policies and procedures. Implements new procedures as the need arises and encourages professional growth.
- 13. Develops and maintains registration policies and procedures as dictated by changes in health care environment. Recommends enhancements to modify registration and scheduling systems to accommodate current and future needs of the clinic environment.
- 14. Participates in departmental and inter-disciplinary committees which influence or recommend policies and/or procedures affecting the registration process.
(number of years and type required to perform the position duties): Bachelor's degree with major course work in Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, and/or Accounting or equivalent work experience in a Hospital setting.
Five (5) years or more progressive work experience in a managerial role responsible for registration and scheduling functions at a large hospital system, including significant financial reporting experience and demonstrated accomplishments in a hospital registration environment.
Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage/lead a large diverse work force. Must be proficient with Microsoft packages such as electronic spread sheets, data base management packages and word processing.