To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Union Position (SRC) Under the general direction of the Business Manager and in cooperation with all the members of the patient care teams, performs a wide range of customer relations, environmental, patient care, and supply functions to fully support patient care activities. Although it is necessary to identify specific tasks relating to this position, the overriding responsibility is to integrate this role into the patient care model to ensure that the patient care team works for the good of the patient: other specific tasks may be added or deleted from the day -to-day operationalization of this position, as the patient care team adapts to the daily needs of the patients we serve . Demonstrates an outstanding commitment to excellent customer service. Patient and family centered care (PFCC) at YNHH is demonstrated by working with patients and their families based on the 4 principles of PFCC: participation, dignity and respect, information sharing, and collaboration. This includes providing service excellence by creating a great "First Impression" by demonstrating exemplary customer service skills for all customer groups including patients, families/friends, physicians, staff and support department personnel. Adheres to the "I Am YNHH" service excellence pledge and promotes a positive work environment. EEO/AA/Disability/Veteran.
- 1. 1. Provides physical assistance to nursing staff performing patient care and transports patients throughout the hospital as needed. 1.1. Uses proper patient positioning techniques and equipment correctly while moving or transporting patients. 1.2. After obtaining necessary equipment and supplies, assists clinical staff with: 1.3. Lifting and supporting patients getting in and out of bed and assisting patients into and out of wheelchairs. 1.4. Moving patients from stretchers to beds. 1.5. Under the direction of the nurse or physician assists in the positioning of patients for procedures, maintaining the sterile field throughout. 1.6. Transports patients safely, courteously, and in a timely manner to all receiving patient care units, and obtains all necessary medical information (e.g. medical record) and equipment and supplies (e.g. wheelchair, 02, IV poles, stretcher, gloves, mask) before leaving unit. 1.7. Verifies patient identity by ID bracelet, verbal acknowledgement, and patient chart using the Yale-New Haven Hospital identifiers and transports patient with medical record safely to the procedure room and other designated areas as directed by Endoscopy unit control desk or nursing personnel 1.8. In the Endoscopy unit, notify Endoscopy unit control desk and/or appropriate nursing personnel upon arrival to the Endoscopy unit. Utilizes Mobileheartbeat and 2-way radio system as additional communication tools for patient arrival and on status of Endoscopy unit. 1.9. Maintains patient transport equipment in a neat and clean manner, washing with designated germicidal solution between each use and returning to proper location. 1.10. Ensures equipment in Endoscopy unit hallways are stored on one side only, maintaining safe egress. 1.11. Ensures availability of an appropriate number of full oxygen tanks with gauges in each designated Endoscopy unit area as requested by the Patient Services Manager. 1.12. Demonstrates positive customer relations skills by introducing self to patients and families, talking with patients and families during transport, directing family members to designated waiting areas and orienting them to the physical environment during transport. 1.13. All patient care responsibilities will be performed consistent with population specific criteria
- 2. 2. Performs cleaning tasks and responsibilities to ensure the sanitary condition of the Endoscopy unit. 2.1. Sets up cleaning equipment and readiness for use with necessary supplies at the beginning of each shift. 2.2. Uses the 7 step cleaning and decontamination techniques for all procedure rooms in order to ensure the removal of all blood and bodily fluids from all surfaces. 2.3. Immediately cleans all specialty items, after use (procedure carts, Endoscopy unit beds including metal top, sides, mattress, base and controls). Prepares Endoscopy unit bed for reuse with linen and returns room to operation readiness. 2.4. Secures all trash and linen bags by properly tying, and disposing in appropriate containers. In addition, remove all Sharp containers (blue and red) placing in Trash Room. 2.5. In Waste Disposal Room empties suction containers according to schedule, handling all waste in accordance with the hospital standard precautions policy. After emptying suction containers linen and trash must be emptied and floor wet mopped. 2.6. Completes all cleaning functions as scheduled and according to procedure, including terminal cleaning of all Endoscopy unit rooms and scrub rooms. 2.7. Corrects observed discrepancies immediately (e.g. spills on the floor, overflowing trash cans, etc.) Ensures that trash bins are cleaned regularly, sanitized and lined with large plastic bags. 2.8. Uses correct mopping procedures and an adequate number of wet floor signs in order to eliminate risk of injury to staff or visitors. 2.9. Checks all dispensers (paper towel, toilet paper, soap) on each shift and refills as needed.
- 3. 2.10. Maintains cleanliness of all floors by dust-mopping or vacuuming with no build-up in corners and edges, using a scraper to remove bone wax and gum. 2.11. Maintains a clean and orderly porter closet and cleaning cart. Ensures that all chemical containers are clearly labeled with contents and date. Ensures housekeeping supplies and equipment are returned to designated area at end of shift. 2.12. Effectively cleans Endoscopy unit rooms according to Infection Control Policy Guidelines. 2.13. Adheres to all hospital recycling requirements by breaking down all boxes before disposing. 2.14. Maintains all visitor and staff space in a clean and orderly manner at all times, dusting, vacuuming and damp mopping each shift. 2.15. Keeps bathrooms in acceptable condition through regular inspection and cleaning of all fixtures, walls, floors, sinks and toilets on each shift. 2.16. Reports all faulty equipment through appropriate channels. 2.17. Demonstrates an uncompromising commitment to patient safety, and participates in quality/performance improvement initiatives as assigned.
- 4. 3. Provides essential errand services for Endoscopy unit 3.1. Completes all errands in an immediate and timely manner (e.g. transporting bodies to the Morgue, obtaining blood products from Blood Bank, transporting specimens to laboratories, transporting supplies and equipment, etc). 3.2. Maintains competency in areas of responsibility and participates in Unit activities that promote a cohesive team.
- 5. 4. Maintains competency in areas of responsibility and participates in Unit activities that promote a cohesive team. 4.1. Completes online mandatory continuing education classes as required. Ensure annual PPD is current. 4.2. Participates in Unit and/or service related continuing education classes. 4.3. Attends and actively participates in staff meetings. If unable to attend, accepts responsibility for reading minutes or viewing video. 4.4. Supports an environment that values learning. 4.5. Participates as a team member and contributes to cohesiveness for the department to ensure the maintenance of a positive working environment 4.6. Participates as a team member by returning pages within five minutes of initiation and informs control desk of return from any assigned duty upon completion 4.7. Demonstrates sensitivity to cultural, racial and ethnic diversity in verbal and non-verbal communication.
High school graduate or educational equivalent.
Minimum of two years of related experience preferably in the areas of customer relations, inventory management, patient care, maintenance and/or biohazardous waste removal, decontamination/disinfecting, and/or previous EA experience.
Current CPR certification or eligible for completing a CPR course preferred.
Demonstrated ability to read, write and perform basic math. Ability to work independently. Excellent interpersonal skills. Able to perform as a part of the patient care team. Demonstrates initiative and the ability to coordinate diverse responsibilities. Able to perform skills required for inventory management, biohazardous waste removal, decontamination, and disinfecting, light maintenance responsibilities, coordination of area work projects with other departments, and performing various aspects of patient care, under the direction of the Registered Nurse. Provide physical assistance to nursing staff performing patient care and transport patients throughout the hospital as needed.
Must be able to life a minimum of 40 pounds. Ability to perform tasks of physical endurance and dexterity as required by placement. Consistent use of proper body mechanics required. Able to independently push transport stretcher carrying patients weighing up to 200 pounds.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE TEAMSTERS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
Minimum - $15.00/hr.
Maximum - $23.96/hr